When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint match for 61 Wasp

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Chris

Finally riding a big boys bike
Looking to see if anyone has already found a good match for the black and white paint used on the Wasps, specifically the 1961 balloon model. Would rather avoid having to match the two colors at Sherwin Williams auto paint shop and mix for spraying, would rather use a good can-ready paint if possible. The two colors as shown on the fork are attached. Thanks for any leads.

9A5BE318-0589-4464-BD89-4A0A6EE6F9F9.jpeg

31A50750-651F-459D-85A7-4BA3E7CE0B81.png

Black is black. The white shouldn't be too tough but there are a lot of shades of white! I'd aim for something close to true white. Maybe someone here can get you closer. V/r Shawn

The white seems to be kind of cream color to me. Besides a generic black, looking to see if someone has matched the black to existing can paint.

Look for a GM Artic white, a little more creamy than pure white. Just a hair off. You can't tell them apart until you set two side by side.

What I call Fords "Dirty White" is a pretty good match for the early Ivory/white. Wimbledon White was used on many of Ford's models and trucks over the years. It was before the Starkass White of the later 90's.
Dupli-Color has an Acrylic Enamel Black that's better than most. I believe the Dupli-Color Perfect Match paint is acrylic lacquer if you want to go that route.

1611021660162.png

What I call Fords "Dirty White" is a pretty good match for the early Ivory/white. Wimbledon White was used on many of Ford's models and trucks over the years. It was before the Starkass White of the later 90's.
Dupli-Color has an Acrylic Enamel Black that's better than most. I believe the Dupli-Color Perfect Match paint is acrylic lacquer if you want to go that route.

View attachment 1341899
You beat me to it. Wimbledon White is the best choice. Nice soft creamy vintage white. Doesn't have the huge contrast when paired with black.
Good chance to find it in a can also.
As far as black being black. Ain't necessary true but in this case get the two colors in the same brand of paint. Better compatibility when applying.

I suppose we could split hairs but GM code 19 was known by about four different names depending on what it was used on but I always called it Tuxedo black and its pretty black. Most people, especially on a bicycle, wouldn't be able to tell the difference between GM Tuxedo black or Ford Raven black or maybe even Krylon black for that matter. I do like the Dupli-Color lacquer as it has more of a factory look because it goes on thinner than the enamels. V/r Shawn

If you go to the automotive paint store and look at the black paint codes for any make car before about 1983 they are all the same. That's when they came out with the brownish, blueish, sparkle colors. So get a black paint code before 1983.

I will go to Sherwin Williams auto and see what they have before I go the can-ready route. I have an old 64 1/2 Mustang, so I know you can get Ford Wimbledon White paint in a can from mustang suppliers like National Parts Depot.

8A96C335-9F93-4C04-AE09-379D63012CFD.jpeg

Back