When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint... Oh, and I don't know what I'm doing

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
http://duplicolor.com/product/metalcast-anodized-automotive-paint

upload_2017-1-24_15-7-29.png

Oh yeah, I didn't notice it had that reflective quality. Was it originally a paint or a tinted film? How did they originally get the paint to stick (or did they not really care)?

There are plenty of good videos on you tube and books that you can get at your local library. The most important thing is the quality of your tools and your prep work. Your finish will only be as good the prep before. Go to Eastwood.com there is a lot of valuable information on paint guns and prep materials. If you have an Eastwood store in your town or even an easy drive from home they will give you plenty of information and hands on training.

This product is going to be your easiest and most economical option. It is exactly what I used to achieve the factory-paint look on my green Jet Flow...

20161220_110014.jpg

I suspect the paint-over-chrome on your Roadmaster tank was originally done the same or similar to the way Murray did theirs... A mask was applied to the areas that stay bright chrome, then the areas of chrome that were to have the candy paint topcoat were very lightly sandblasted. That gave the chrome a dull metallic aluminum look and a good base for the paint to adhere to.
Here's a couple of examples of the original paint-over-chrome technique on Murray products -

20170114_164353.jpg
20161229_111734.jpg

Because the chrome on your Roadmaster tank is original and in good shape, it should already benefit from the original sandblasting/chrome-dulling process. Painting it to look original should be a matter of masking the areas that remain chrome, ensuring the surfaces to be painted are clean, then spray light, even coats of the Duplicolor Metalcast red until the desired shade and depth of color is achieved.
Carefully remove masking after paint is dry, then apply white pinstripes with One Shot enamel and your favorite pinstriping brush!

Good luck with your project!

I may be wrong but isn't the chrome plating under the opaque red important to the look of that paint?

I'm not familiar with the bike in this topic, but I've done the Metalcast on both chrome, DC's base coat along with a third test using a silver/aluminum base. All three will give you totally different results. I was trying to match Schwinn's candy colors and found out after purchasing DC's base coat that it was a metallic paint. Since Schwinn's frames were not chromed, they used their aluminum undercoat on all the parts including the chrome guards before the candy color so that it would all match. The silver/aluminum base on the Schwinn bikes was not a metallic paint like the DC's Metalcast base coat, and I know that a few other makers did not use a metallic base under their candy paints. Bottom line, you cannot paint a candy over a silver base coat and chrome and have the same finished results.

Opaque Red is non transparent.

This product is going to be your easiest and most economical option. It is exactly what I used to achieve the factory-paint look on my green Jet Flow...

View attachment 414380

I suspect the paint-over-chrome on your Roadmaster tank was originally done the same or similar to the way Murray did theirs... A mask was applied to the areas that stay bright chrome, then the areas of chrome that were to have the candy paint topcoat were very lightly sandblasted. That gave the chrome a dull metallic aluminum look and a good base for the paint to adhere to.
Here's a couple of examples of the original paint-over-chrome technique on Murray products -

View attachment 414381 View attachment 414385

Because the chrome on your Roadmaster tank is original and in good shape, it should already benefit from the original sandblasting/chrome-dulling process. Painting it to look original should be a matter of masking the areas that remain chrome, ensuring the surfaces to be painted are clean, then spray light, even coats of the Duplicolor Metalcast red until the desired shade and depth of color is achieved.
Carefully remove masking after paint is dry, then apply white pinstripes with One Shot enamel and your favorite pinstriping brush!

Good luck with your project!

I have personally seen Martin's green Jet Flow and it turned out beautifully. Nice work Martin!

You guys are awesome!

Thank you so much for all the help.

You have the enthusiasm, the right attitude, the patience and the skills to do it right.
Your Roadmaster is a very cool bike and well worth the effort, I look forward to seeing pics of it when you're done.

Best of luck with the paintwork and enjoy the bike!

:cool:

Back