When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint on Bikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

eeapo

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have seen some fantastic paint jobs on some refurbished bikes, would these paint jobs be better then the original paint jobs?

The quality of today's paint is so much better than those paints 50 years ago. And a lot of guys are painting bike with a base coat and a clear coat, which was never done back in the day. I think the factories generally used one or two coats of enamel, and that was about it. And I'm sure there were paint runs, chips, and orange peel long ago. So to "properly" restore a bike these days you need to intentionally use inferior paints and intentionally have defects, which a lot of owners, understandably. don't want to do. So, in a nutshell, the dazzling show bikes you see have much nicer finishes on them now then when they left the factory. Same applies to plating.

The answer to your question is "no". All things equal an original paint bike is more desirable and will bring more money-generally speaking. V/r Shawn

The answer is yes if you are asking about paint quality and the detail a custom painter can perform. The answer is no in most cases if you are asking about resale value. A majority of folks prefer original,be it paint or components.

All the previous points are good ones. It's funny how attitudes change over time. 30 years ago there would have been no question that a beautifully done show finish would be preferable to an old faded paint job with nicks and scratches. Today, especially in the last 5 years or so there has been an almost violent opposition to restorations of any kind. Patina is worshiped as king.

As already stated, paint quality and painting techniques were primitive compared to now as you go back in time. Going all the way back 100 years or so paint was applied with a brush at the factory and then hand rubbed for a smooth finish. This process may have been repeated several times on a frame or fork. The end result may have been one with a more attractive luster than spraying a single stage paint. On the other hand the paint used was not as durable as more modern paints and did not stand up to time if used frequently.

On the few antique bikes Iv'e restored I sprayed a single stage paint but keeping with the original techniques apply several coats wet sanding in between coats and never using clear coat. These bikes had no original finish left on them but I tried to not "over restore".

In the end there is no one answer.

I'd say that paint is different now, not so much that it's better. Modern materials and computer-controlled cutting devices can produce templates that make sharp edges and fine detail, but that doesn't make for a "better" bicycle paint job IMO. I'd guess that most of the "advancements" in paint systems have been to decrease the time it takes to apply and (theoretically) maintain. Base/clear just doesn't look right to me on old things, and from my experience doesn't work well in contact with washers, nuts, etc.
The high durability of yesteryear's paint is illustrated by the many very neglected finishes that have been brought back and look wonderful.

refurbish

Greetings all. I would like to throw my two cents into this subject. Like I've mentioned in my past few postings I don't put a lot of postings in here until I find myself restoring a vintage bike and rely on all the great help here. As a retired plumber I've also been building and restoring (body work/painting) for over 35yrs. projects like classic cars, streetrods, antique motorcycles, vending machines, gas pumps and bicycles. I'm now totally going thru a prewar Elgin. My focus is on the condition. My Elgin was roasted! Deep pitting, scale, crud, heavy rust and dents. I don't believe the answer is putting on a fresh saddle, oil the chain and ride not when its in this condition, although I'm current on my tetnus shots. I use base-coat clear-coat and the today products are great, its just that a very small handful of people will know or care to learn how to use it properly and they wont write checks everywhere to have the work done for them. My point is, I can ad a dulling agent into my clear-coat to dim the gloss and leave a superior hardshell protection. Myself, I like gloss. Most of my pieces I've taken from the bowels of hell and made head turners because most don't have the skill or drive to bring it back. Why hang a rotted classic anything on a barn when it can be brought back, I'm not talking patina. So its whatever makes your boat float with a paint job. Don't let anyone tell you it wont look the part or appear right, its what your belief is that it should be. No one should refer to what I and some do as restoring. I like to refer to it more as "enhancing" a great word that says it all. Will submit some images here in a few weeks when my Elgin is done. Some will like some will not, but we are all good people here with good beliefs that keep the past days of memorabilia alive and well.....Roger

Just as with antique furniture or firearms, remnants of the original "finish" are highly valued these days. Its a connection to the original manufacture which once gone, can never be replaced.

-mb.

The new paint systems are superior to just about anything out there, but are uber expensive and can be very toxic to inhale during the application process.I have some automotive lacquers from back in the early 70's. I worked in a SW paint warehouse and kept some of the paint with damaged cans that were thrown out. I can't tell you how well these old paints perform. They go on great and are so easy to wet sand and recoat. The downside of course is that they contain lead so they are dangerous as well. My compromise is the paint spray cans offered by Krylon and Duplicolor.They take practice because of the critical re coat issues, but perform very well and have an OEM look once finished. Using the Duplicolor clear works well because it does not have that heavy wet look if not overdone.

... No one should refer to what I and some do as restoring. I like to refer to it more as "enhancing" a great word that says it all. .....Roger

In the car world we refer to it as "restification". This is fine to me if that's what makes you happy and you are enjoying the hobby in your way. What gets me is when someone shoots some BC/CC, laces a Nexus 7, puts a repop seat on it and calls it "restored". Uhh nope it ain't. Just like in the car world there is plenty of room for originals, rats, customs, and even plain junk! That's my 2c. V/r Shawn

Back