When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint or powder coat that is the ?

-
My Whizzer rider is powder coated because of no scratches in thirty years of use. Gas and oil are not kind to todays paint. No two tones are possible but pin striping stays on. Cleanup after a ride is easier. Old powder jobs had a bumpy, (like an orange) look. Hotter ovens and more experience helped. Powdered coats can be done without clear coat. No gas can spill on a clear coat. Chrome can be powdered. It is like a coat of plastic on a bike. Change your mind? You can't take it off easily.

Last edited:
My personal feeling is if it’s a standard color black ,white ,etc. powder coat would protect more being that these bikes are 70 plus years old.
Statement raises several questions for clarification: 1) What difference does the color make? 2) What do the bikes need to be protected from? 3) How would powder coat be more protective than paint? 3) What is the significance of the age of the bike?

If it’s a restoration then single stage automotive paint is the way to go.
Paint. They will look like the way they were made.
Exactly. The primary rule of bike restoration is the same as for medicine and for archeologic digs: First, do no harm. Powder coating is much less reversible than painting. Have fun!

I would opt for paint in almost all cases with a vintage bike. It is more in keeping with the original method of production. The one time I would opt for powder coat is if the bike is going to be powdered a single color and used as a daily commuter. A good powder coat can be quite durable, though it is not in keeping with original methods.

I don’t like powder coated frames, but I do like to have my rims powder coated. And yes, you can pinstripe on powered coating. Both those rims are coated and then hand striped. I’ve got a set I had done 10 years ago and they still look like new

Back