When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint or powder coat that is the ?

-
Being a painter for over 35 years in both liquid and powder. 2k acrylic enamel would be your best bet. powder gets chipped or scratched hard to match up and can be brittle on edges. Only way to remove is steel shot blast or burn off oven which will warp frame. Liquid can be touched up and blended very nicely and it's durable and don't flake with age if in humid areas. And can be sanded or stripped if needed in future. It is also closest to original paint.

Hey ladies and gents , I’m relatively new to the game. I’ve grown my collection from one bicycle to about 15 ranging from 1896 to 1959. Love them all for each has its own unique flair. For the most part I do a deep cleaning and wax. My question is and I know it’s a preference , is paint or powder coat. My personal feeling is if it’s a standard color black ,white ,etc. powder coat would protect more being that these bikes are 70 plus years old. I would love for some input to see what everyone feels out there. Leave a comment and thanks ahead of time.
My vote is paint. I bought a 1941 Columbia years ago that the seller started restoring…. Well the frame and sheet metal was all powder coated and it just didn’t look good as far as the sheen, as mentioned in a previous response.
Just my 2 cents.👍👍👍👍

Back