When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint or powder coat ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

alvl1936

Look Ma, No Hands!
whats the best for a bike frame & fenders , paint or powder coat on a restored phanthom , panther , b-6 , ect ?

Powder coat was not used originally,,so in my opinion, the bike would not be restored. It would be custom. Any thoughts ?

Powder coating is better than paint for a durable, chip proof finish. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to do two-tone finishes with powder coating. In powder coating the metal is given an electric charge while a powdered resin is sprayed on the metal. The metal is then baked in a kiln to melt the powdered resin, and bond it to the metal. There is no way to effectively mask between colors and get a clean sharp line. I have heard of people doing a combination paint and powder. On a Phantom, you would have to powder coat the frame in black, use red paint for the fork head, and then pin-stripe the lines in white.
Unfortunately too, most of your off the shelf spray paint isn't worth your time. (thank the EPA) Custom mixed high quality paint is available, but it's expensive.

JWM

Real collectors tend to shy away from powder coated anything.

Some opine that there is a nice powder primer, but I would only do paint.

I had my huffy dial a ride powder coated two tone,red and white.Dollar for dollar powder coating is a lot cheaper,plus it will hold up better for everyday use.If i an going to spend $1000.00 to restore a bike you can bet i will be riding it.No trailer queens for me.

Last edited:
Powder coat doesn't have the same look as paint would. It looks plastic-y to me. I personally hate the stuff. You better absolutely love the color since it's a bitch to get off. Also forget about ever selling the bike to another collector. I don't care what bike it is, if it's powder coated I wouldn't pay anything for it. Spend the money, do it right, take good care of it and you won't have any issues with paint.

I had my huffy dial a ride powder coated two tone,red and white.Dollar for dollar powder coating is a lot cheaper,plus it will hold up better for everyday use.If i an going to spend $1000.00 to restore a bike you can bet i will be riding it.No trailer queens for me.

How did the two color come out? When I had my rider powder coated I wanted to do a two tone, but the guy who owned the shop discouraged me from doing it. He gave me the info that I posted earlier in the thread. Was it just this one shop that didn't want to do two tone color schemes?

JWM

How did the two color come out? When I had my rider powder coated I wanted to do a two tone, but the guy who owned the shop discouraged me from doing it. He gave me the info that I posted earlier in the thread. Was it just this one shop that didn't want to do two tone color schemes?

JWM

The shop i use says he has done two tone on different jobs.He has to use a special heat tape for masking.I will get the pictures up when i get home to the other computer.Also on must two tones there is a pin stripe.

Last edited:
powder coat

Powder coat doesn't have the same look as paint would. It looks plastic-y to me. I personally hate the stuff. You better absolutely love the color since it's a bitch to get off. Also forget about ever selling the bike to another collector. I don't care what bike it is, if it's powder coated I wouldn't pay anything for it. Spend the money, do it right, take good care of it and you won't have any issues with paint.

I'll bet that if the Schwinn Co. would have known about powder coat in '53 they would have done it.(Elgin would stayed with paint). Internet-letters, smart phone-I love lucy phone, carberator-throttle body, should I go on? I must confess-the dark green on my panther is PC. (not for sale-but collectors dont like the wheels either:(cool:

Last edited:
Back