When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Questions for 1948 Straight Bar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hektor08

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello, it's my first time restoring a Schwinn bike and I need help with paint. Found a frame which is bare, so I have to pattern the colors using my fenders and rims which still have original paint.

Questions:
1. Is the ivory paint on the frame the same with the paint on S2 rims? I could not pattern the color with the fenders since the ivory/cream part is faded.

2. I noticed that the pinstripes on the fenders look whiter compared to the triangle part painted cream/ivory. Are they really different? I assume it is also like this for the pinstripes on the chainguard and tank? Should I use a different color for the pinstripes?

I hope to restore the colors of the frame/parts as close as possible to the original Schwinn paints. I've read old forum posts and most Cabe members recommended getting paint from vintageschwinn website. This would be the easiest solution, however, I am located outside US so shipping pressurized paint cans will be a problem.

I've also read that Schwinn did not release any color codes for their bikes, so my best luck would be to bring my fenders & rims to a local paint shop so they can match the colors.

Thanks in advance and any advice/help is highly appreciated. :)

-Hector

All the ivory is the same color. Find some solid paint, a little rubbing compound to buff to true color and have your jobber match it. BTW Hayward, CA is in the US last time I checked? V/r Shawn

Last edited:
I agree with the color being the same but the paint for the pins was most likely a different product or it had some other chemical additives for hand application.

Thank you very much for all the advice and for providing pictures as well! Will use those as reference. Thanks again everyone! :)

Back