When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint removal to see original paint

-
Thank you @catfish ... The guy I got the tank from had it for probably 10 years like that .. looked like a cinder block .. & he never knew there was any paint under it .. He was surprised as I was after it was cleaned up ..

Gotsta be one of the best clean up successes in the hobby!
There is not one perfect solution for every type of "house paint" used - many paints have different formulas just like the many different paint removers - I had great success with the GOOF OFF product on whatever was used as a house paint over this tank - I worked a small spot at a time & a large bath towel that I constantly moved so I always had a clean area on the towel with fresh GOOF OFF on it that as I used the new spot on the towel I would do a quick last wipe over the area just revealed

The GOOF OFF would soften the old house paint - then it would smear it & then the new area on the rag would make it 90% there - Let the product - in this case GOOF OFF - break down the old house paint - RUBBING IT HARDER WILL NOT MAKE THE GOOF OFF WORK ANY BETTER - Gentle motion - well ventilated area - or open area outside & PATIENCE .. this tank took me 5 hours to clean up - but 100% worth the patience - original paint under house paint isn't guaranteed depending on how how much was there and/or condition before it was painted & how the painter prepped the surface to begin with

Too much of any remover may remove it all .. so again work on small areas and with plenty of patience - I have found that white house paint is the most difficult to remove with any type of thinner

I've also used more & less aggressive thinners - from lacquer thinner - to paint thinner - to acetone & more - each house paint has a product that may work against it to reveal original paint which is surprisingly strong depending of brand of bike - Schwinn is really strong paint from the factory - many others not as strong - In the case of your Shelby - paint is on the thin side prewar .. so be careful & best of luck .. keep us posted on progress

Ridden not Hidden - Frank

Like the Tinker says, read that other thread and you'll be well prepared to decide where to start. It looks like spray paint, if so the oven cleaner may be the way to go. I'v used goof off too and it worked on multiple layers of old rattle can paint. I probably don't need to say this but be patient and work a small area in an out of the way spot while you get a feel for what works. Best of luck and look forward to seeing results.

Good off last week 1934 Schwinn lead spray paint was probably 60 plus years old. Just be very careful with any pinstripes.

For some reason I have not been lucky enough to get the bikes with house paint, seems like most of my bikes have repainted with spray can or automotive paint that most removers/thinners don't touch! my luck!

image.jpg

Was cleaning my 1941 bfg today and I believe underneath all this house paint is the original red and white paint it was. Glad I found this thread I just wanted to know the steps to remove the paint carefully without ruining the original paint

Back