When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Removal

-

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
So I know this paint removal topic has been beat to death but I'm needing opinions. This frame has two coats of red over the original green. I tried the liquid Goof Off and a rag but it took forever to get to green. I then switched to 0000 steel wool and WD40 which worked quicker but comes with its own problems. First, I'm afraid the person who painted this took steel wool to the original paint to scuff it up. Second, it appears the original paint was fairly pitted (probably why it was re-painted) and the red filled some of the pits. Worse yet, it's hard to distinguish between the red paint and the Schwinn primer. At best, its going to be a green with red spots all over it. Considering taking it all off and do a rattle can on it. Thoughts...
IMG_2566.JPG
IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG

IMG_2576.JPG

I personally do not like that mid west garage door/window sash green and I would pass up a nice "Garage Door Green" Panther even if it was free.
yesnod.gif
lol.gif

It's not worth my time spending hours on end removing layers of brushed or rattle can paint to save old beat up original paint. I would rather spend my time on a quick strip/blast and fresh paint. Of a non green color.
lol.gif

Deep thoughts on paint removal, by Jack Handey

I've stripped two bikes down to original paint and although worth it, swear I will not do again. Did a old hard black repaint over black and pinstriping and it was tough. Wanted to save what was left of pinstriping for proving provenance (37 Zep). And did A black over original brown and yellow Manton & Smith and that turned out great. But trying to stay away from that situation unless a real special reason. So what should you do ? If it ain't coming off somewhat consistently and it's taking the fun out of it...nice repaint ?

2018-06-19_08.47.41.jpg

If you want to go down to bare metal. Klean Strip works well for stubborn paint.
7100099_rso_255449_pri_larg.jpg

2018-06-19_08.56.11 (1).jpg

Rustoleum's Aircraft Remover works well.
NOW THE DRAWBACKS-
Both of these products are dangerous, will burn your skin. You must use Chemical gloves. it will eat through latex .
I WOULD NOT aerosol cans next time. I would used brush on. There is a lot over-spray , and on a windy day that spray could find your car or something you don't want its paint removed.
Next time...if I wanted an entire bike taken down to bare metal. Id probably send it out to be media blasted

Back