When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint remover and chrome

-
We used to use brake fluid and/or Easy off oven cleaner (original version) to remove paint from plastic model cars. Easy off was also a good degreaser for metal parts like chains.
I can't imagine either harming metal chrome wheels, but try small sample first.(note: it did remove the chrome on bumpers found on car models)

All bets are off for what ever you use if spokes attached. Different methods were used to coat spokes and it could get ugly if they get splashed with what ever you decide to use.

I was watching a This Old House episode where house paint was removed by submerging the painted part into a pan of hot water that had baking soda mixed into it. A soft brush was used to peel the paint off. ???? You'd need an awfully big pan to do a wheel.

paint stripper will not hurt chrome. many moons ago I bought 70 chromed then painted radio delete plates for 1949 Chevrolets to resell. chrome on the outer edge and painted centers. these were removed when the cars were new to install radios. many of them had scratches in the paint so i used Jascos spray on stripper and sold them without the center painted. they chromed the whole thing so they looked good without the paint.

paint stripper will not hurt chrome. many moons ago I bought 70 chromed then painted radio delete plates for 1949 Chevrolets to resell. chrome on the outer edge and painted centers. these were removed when the cars were new to install radios. many of them had scratches in the paint so i used Jascos spray on stripper and sold them without the center painted. they chromed the whole thing so they looked good without the paint.
I think they stopped selling Jasco stripper but Goo Gone Pro Graffiti remover works well too. It's the only stripper I have found that still will chemical burn you & Actually Remove paint by bubbling it up

We used to use brake fluid and/or Easy off oven cleaner (original version) to remove paint from plastic model cars. Easy off was also a good degreaser for metal parts like chains.
I can't imagine either harming metal chrome wheels, but try small sample first.(note: it did remove the chrome on bumpers found on car models)

All bets are off for what ever you use if spokes attached. Different methods were used to coat spokes and it could get ugly if they get splashed with what ever you decide to use.

Dont use brake fluid it will loosen the chrome and make it flake old Jasco metal etch (no longer available) was best i ve tried to clean chrome from antique boats with salt water corrosion and bronze/brass tarnish coming through for 35 years just plain cleansor or chrome polish and alot of scrubbing is best after many years you just polish the chrome off nothing is full proof the Citrus based orange goop and goof off work best today to remove paint from chrome but it breaks down the chrome adhesion if there are bits it gets under the chrome edge

Back