When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

painted or chromed Flightliner?

-

MaxGlide

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hello All,

Just wondering what you think might be more "collectable" a painted frame flightliner or a chromed one? Or is is six of one, half a dozen of the other?

Thanks....

Wayne

Well chrome costs more to produce and is generally reserved for deluxe versions so it stands to reason that the chrome model was the fancier of the two and must've sold for more. Restoration costs are going to be that much higher over painted as well.

This is my 60 that i restored a few years ago, painted ones seem to stand out more i think. Sulley

0045-1.jpg

chrome

As far as I am concerned, the space age middleweight bicycles are best in chrome...just looks more the part.
Chris

This is my 60 that i restored a few years ago, painted ones seem to stand out more i think. Sulley

Hey Sulley that's a beaut! You make an interesting observation...I believe the chrome frame tends to appear somewhat invisible as it sort of blends into the surroundings while a painted frame contrasts against the chrome fenders.

Harley Earl, first official stylist for General Motors, upon being asked what his favorite color was replied "Chrome" This was in the 1950's so his response is understandable LOL

As far as I am concerned, the space age middleweight bicycles are best in chrome...just looks more the part.
Chris

Couldn't agree more. There's a vibe about these that naively speaks of a future filled with all manner of inventions promising an easier life for all. Totally reminds me of both the 1964/65 New York Worlds Fair combined with the Jetsons and the early days of the space program. Who else had the astronaut version of GI Joe? His spacesuit was made from a silver Mylar(?) material which smacks of the chrome on these bikes.

It has a tanklight? Goes to figure I d say chrome but, if the tanklight.is there.....who cares.

My vote is chrome. Unless you have to spend a month scraping the orginal lacquer off. My fingers still hurt.

If painted correctly then painted versions look poppin too.
My collection of these spaceliner bikes have both.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

If you can get it to look anywhere near as nice as this bike I saw at a bike show today, my vote's chrome too :)

Photo0328.jpg

JD knows I would post the nicer tank light bikes I have and vote for painted.lol
antiquebikes002-1.jpg

1963womansspaceliner4-1.jpg

1960sears-1.jpg

searsflightliner-1.jpg

Hey Vince, while your bikes are super sharp your votes don't count....unless they're counted like chaff in Florida LOL

Vince, those are sharp and poppin painted versions. It's weird seeing the 7bars painted though. But they are tastfully done. When looking at quality painted frames like these, puts me stradling the fence on chrome vs painted....no, I'm still voting for chrome.
You can paint my frames anytime, however. Im loving the red accented light bezel on the Flightliner. Just about no chrome on this bike and it looks great.
Nice collection!!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back