When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painted S2 Rims rust removal but leave paint and patina?

-

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
I need to remove the blotches of crusty rust that are bleeding through the paint on a set of S2 rims.
My goal is to dissolve/remove the brown crust but preserve the paint, pinstripes and bare metal spots with the best methods possible.

I’d finally like to clear-coat the rims to permanently seal off the bare metal areas and prevent the rust from returning.

let me know what has worked best for you!
Thanks everyone.

I need to remove the blotches of crusty rust that are bleeding through the paint on a set of S2 rims.
My goal is to dissolve/remove the brown crust but preserve the paint, pinstripes and bare metal spots with the best methods possible.

I’d finally like to clear-coat the rims to permanently seal off the bare metal areas and prevent the rust from returning.

let me know what has worked best for you!
Thanks everyone.
I would try using tin foil and cider vinegar to remove the rust from the rims.. Good luck..Razin...

I would try using tin foil and cider vinegar to remove the rust from the rims.. Good luck..Razin...
no, not on paint, chrome maybe.

I use Mequiar's Ultimate Compound on painted rims, like this Elgin, to help remove rust stains and spots, then some cleaner wax and they look pretty good.

Just go really easy on pin stripes.

I've used steel wool in the finest grade (0000) and wd40 with good results. Finish with a nice wax (I use TR3) and the paint should stay nice for decades. Just go easy on the pins (with both the steel wool and the wax:(

no, not on paint, chrome maybe.

I use Mequiar's Ultimate Compound on painted rims, like this Elgin, to help remove rust stains and spots, then some cleaner wax and they look pretty good.

Just go really easy on pin stripes.
View attachment 1637742

View attachment 1637743
Maybe not, i use Turtle wax Chrome polish and rust remover... If i wanted shiny rust, i just whip out my wire brush on my 4".... Good luck...

Back