When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting 61 Balloon Wasp

-
For the fender braces, which set goes on the rear and front, there are two different lengths, one longer and one shorter. A set approximately 11 3/4 inches long and other set 13 inches long. I have the shorter set on the rear fender now and it does not come up to meet the top attachment point or the front lower attachment point, so think it’s wrong. These are fender braces attached with the screw-on rivets, so didn’t want to redo them without checking first.

Are they mixed, a long and short on both fenders? My Schwinn manual does not cover fender installation.
Short ones are on the rear, long on the front. Sometimes you have to pull them a bit to get them into place.

That worked. I took the wheel off to better maneuver the rear fender and get to the attachment points. Had to pull it a good bit, think this was due to the fenders having been rolled, may have adjusted the shape some.

Finished assembly of the Wasp. The only outstanding issues are the missing white lines on the chain guard and incorrect waffle pedals (correct ones are the earlier free spinning version). The bike is from Pueblo Colorado, original yellow bike shop tag is Masters Bicycle, Pueblo Colorado. I purchased it from a collector in Pueblo who had the bicycle since 1968. It was found in the basement of a local bike shop with a newspaper bag from the Chieftain & Star-Journal newspaper in Pueblo.

Bike as shown, 1961 Newsboy Special
  • 120-gage spokes
  • heavy duty front hub
  • heavy duty saddle
  • Springer fork
  • nine-hole rear rack
  • long Cycletruck stem
  • Bendix coaster break
  • Typhoon balloon tires
  • extra wide handlebar good for newspaper bags (believe this is part #7871, handlebars seen on rear of Schwinn Tandem)

CAA5A125-1003-42B2-B599-1A88DF8378DE.jpeg

4A9F64C0-4BD4-4EAD-BA5B-9AFA267B608F.jpeg

7E787ADE-8598-44E0-ADF3-87FEEAEA362A.jpeg

60ABB78B-C946-4F10-9AC4-BE6157678B4E.jpeg

8E554305-D0A5-4A79-B841-29B0B56615C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet! All it needs now is the STP stickers on the ends of the fenders. ;)

Great job!

I’ve done a couple bikes with spray paint cans. I didn’t know Sherwin Williams could put automotive paint in a spray can. Do you know if it covers better than regular spray paint or is it just stronger paint?

Great job!

I’ve done a couple bikes with spray paint cans. I didn’t know Sherwin Williams could put automotive paint in a spray can. Do you know if it covers better than regular spray paint or is it just stronger paint?
The Sherwin Williams automotive paint in the spray can is good quality and it goes on well. The cans come with a red button that you use to depress a stem in the base of the can to release the hardener. This hardener makes the paint dry fast (2K paint, epoxy plus paint), dry to the touch in about an hour and completely dry roughly 6-8 hours later. It feels pretty durable, will see over time.

Nicely done Chris - thanks for sharing your process, struggles and successes. It is a great learning tool for us newbies.

Back