Painting a leather saddle is NOT how to restore...

This ad disappears when logged in

pedal4416

I live for the CABE
Nov 28, 2008
Bryan, TX, USA
I bought a bike about 10 years ago that was an amateur restoration and I’m finally getting around to fixing it. The previous “restoration expert” decided to paint the beautiful leather saddle!!! I don’t want to hurt the leather underneath so I’m slowly chipping it away with the corner of a razor blade and you can see I haven’t gotten very far in way too much time. This sucks but it’s part of the journey. If anyone has any suggestions to speed this up with out harming the leather in all ears. I’m trying to stay away from solvents because I hate the mess.

26355146-20F1-4CB5-9521-6B3D06FF9633.jpeg

223F0AF3-187C-43D7-A0E6-FDDCE049E64D.jpeg

AF0F1228-6545-47CD-843E-D1B5EACA0A3D.jpeg

tryder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 12, 2014
San Anselmo, CA
I bought a bike about 10 years ago that was an amateur restoration and I’m finally getting around to fixing it. The previous “restoration expert” decided to paint the beautiful leather saddle!!! I don’t want to hurt the leather underneath so I’m slowly chipping it away with the corner of a razor blade and you can see I haven’t gotten very far in way too much time. This sucks but it’s part of the journey. If anyone has any suggestions to speed this up with out harming the leather in all ears. I’m trying to stay away from solvents because I hate the mess.

View attachment 979925

View attachment 979926

View attachment 979927
Ride it. Wear old pants.

juvela

Aug 2, 2014
Playa del Rey, United States
-----

We could all benefit here from the edification provided by member @rhm ;)

-----

Wheeler

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Dec 2, 2016
Toronto
Perhaps a pressure wash would work to get under that paint.
I'm thinking coin-op car wash for a quick try. No soap to be safer
The leather is waterproof and will deserve a treatment regardless after any reveal.
No guarantee and no liability with regards to my ideations.

dweenk

Finally riding a big boys bike
Nov 13, 2014
Maryland
Do you know if the paint is oil or water based? That knowledge would give you a place to start.

pedal4416

I live for the CABE
Nov 28, 2008
Bryan, TX, USA
Im not sure what kind of paint it is. chips off in tiny chips and packing tape took a very small amount off on the areas I already started chipping. The leather underneath is beautiful. I might just keep doing this a little bit every night while I decompress.

videoranger

Dec 19, 2006
Omaha, United States
I would tend to think warming with a heat gun before chipping should help. As always, try a small area first. I can't imagine any chemicals that would be safe to use on leather would remove the coating. Also adding a good beer to the process might help.

Ed Manes

On Training Wheels
Dec 30, 2017
Redlands, calif.
I have worked with leather a lot, and I think you are removing the paint correctly. Not sure what kind of razor blade you are using, but I would suggest a curved 1" Exacto blade on the thicker 5" long handle. I use mine for all kinds of restoration project. See the picture.

IMG_1948.JPG

razinhellcustomz

Finally riding a big boys bike
May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin
I might try a little wd-40 with a soft rag or towel. You may have to let it soak into the paint, but it should loosen up the paint enough to peel it off without hurting the leather. Good luck!

pedal4416

I live for the CABE
Nov 28, 2008
Bryan, TX, USA
I don’t have a heat gun anymore so I used a lighter to heat the paint a little. I was able to pick at the edge with the razor and peel bigger strips. Some areas are still harder than others an will still take some patience and time. Totally worth it!

GTs58

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Only 24 bucks delivered to your door. https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Spray...rds=heat+gun'&qid=1555826056&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Time saved is money earned. Or more time to earn money. Something like that. ;)
Every once in a while I use the heat gun to strip paint off the machines at work. It's a flat steel table insert and the acrylic enamel paint comes off real easy with a sharp thin putty knife after heating it up.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture