When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting a leather saddle is NOT how to restore...

-
Do you know if the paint is oil or water based? That knowledge would give you a place to start.

Use a big grinder Always wear safety goggles.
images.jpg

Im not sure what kind of paint it is. chips off in tiny chips and packing tape took a very small amount off on the areas I already started chipping. The leather underneath is beautiful. I might just keep doing this a little bit every night while I decompress.

I would tend to think warming with a heat gun before chipping should help. As always, try a small area first. I can't imagine any chemicals that would be safe to use on leather would remove the coating. Also adding a good beer to the process might help.

I have worked with leather a lot, and I think you are removing the paint correctly. Not sure what kind of razor blade you are using, but I would suggest a curved 1" Exacto blade on the thicker 5" long handle. I use mine for all kinds of restoration project. See the picture.

IMG_1948.JPG

I might try a little wd-40 with a soft rag or towel. You may have to let it soak into the paint, but it should loosen up the paint enough to peel it off without hurting the leather. Good luck!

I don’t have a heat gun anymore so I used a lighter to heat the paint a little. I was able to pick at the edge with the razor and peel bigger strips. Some areas are still harder than others an will still take some patience and time. Totally worth it!

Back