When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting Chrome or Bright Metal on G519 Tribute Bike

-
Thanks, Mike, for the great pics! Helps a lot. Yeah, you can't beat the price so I'm going to order one later on today being that it takes so long for delivery. Good luck with your build! Bob

Hate to say it ...Paint won’t stic to scuffed Crome.. it will look like I’d does but flake in a few days after it cures..

I have a early 42 Columbia. The wheels are chrome under yellow primer and OD . I think they are original and it has not been restored. I would imagine they used what ever they had in stock for the early ones. The original paint seems to stick ok.

Paint 101.....Old paint in the olden days (before anyone cared the hazards ) contained lead. This product is what made paint really tough and what today’s collectors want in the orig paint bikes. Lead helped bond to just about any type of metal and coatings...... well in today’s society there is concerned about stupid kids eating it or smelling etc....and brain damage occurs .. this helped kill the quality that made good paint stick.. so when you paint on Crome now it just scratches and flakes off no matter how much you scratch it..... you need some sort of additive to help make it adhere to Crome.. so now there is a product that helps it it’s called lacquer.. spray a clear coat over Crome and you have something that works but not like the old days...go to a auto paint shop and buy a spray can of lacquer called Bull Dog. This product is a good fix for your problem....

Back