When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting non-hack job pointers

-

Westfield Newbie

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I’m hooked! I don’t know what I’m doing most of the time but I’m learning a lot. I have a friend who can fix anything so he’s helping me. This is real progress, I’ve taken it all apart, derusted, power washed and lubed-up, now I’m getting ready to paint. Just looking for any pointers. I don’t want it to look like a hack job, or too perfect (pretty sure this won’t be an issue) but I’m not really sure how much to retouch and how much to leave as it is. I got a new seat, pedals, handgrips, a headlight and a basket for the front so those will be new but I like the old bits just as much.

I learned that the chain is unique, the seat has a smaller post, one pedal was crazy hard to get off and I did have a crack in the internal neck piece. My friend is going to weld it and I should be good to go from there.

My kitchen table is covered in bike parts, and I’m loving it. I’m sure I’m not the only one in this situation in this group!
-Shasheen
BDF7E572-2208-443D-B8E0-11A0DF507AED.jpeg

43CBD0E0-C65D-42EC-BAAB-2EE53487F872.jpeg

DC450CF5-0BB1-4F52-BF16-9CE743C15D9E.jpeg

Welcome to the Cabe. My name is Barry

Prep work is really important. Any flaws you can see will show through the new paint.
Cleanliness
Don't over paint
I try to remove every speck of paint so it can't cause a reaction with the new paint.
Good paint, I don't like to use paint you need to clear coat over. It looks wrong, I don't think they ever clear coated them.

Last edited:
Prep work is really important. Any flaws you can see will show through the new paint.
Cleanliness
Don't over paint
I try to remove every speck of paint so it can't cause a reaction with the new paint.
Good paint, I don't like to use paint you need to clear coat over. It looks wrong, I don't think they ever clear coated them.

This! Cleanliness is the key. I clean every speck of old paint, wipe down with naphtha or acetone followed by a tack cloth before the first coat of primer. Wet sand, tack cloth, paint, tack cloth, paint, etc.

3rd "Don't Paint" from me too. Why not clean up the paint that's there and check it out? There is a lot of original paint on that bike that could be saved, and if you like it, it would be easier than repainting.

Can you tell us the serial number? It has rear fork ends so I'm guessing it's pretty old.

It's gonna be a cool bike. Keep going!!!

Last edited:
Back