When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PAIR of 1901 & 1902 COLUMBIA Bevel Geared Shaft Drive Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mike cates

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I have FOR SALE what I call a "matched pair" of Columbia Bevel Gear Shaft Drive bicycles: 1901 Woman's and 1902 Man's. The 1901 Woman's is a Model 75 and the 1902 Man's is a Model 81.
According to the original Columbia 1901 and 1902 catalogs, there were no design changes or improvements from 1901 onwards to the 1902 bevel geared models so both years were virtually the same bicycle. They could be as far apart as two years (Jan 1, 1901 to Dec 31, 1902) or as close as one day apart (Dec 31, 1901 to Jan 1, 1902) in their manufacturing dates.
They are ready for a modern day Wheelmen couple, parent and child, etc to hit the bike path with!
To a collector here is what Columbia offered in this era.
These are older restorations (pardon the dust from hanging in the building for some years) and are fitted with white Universal 28" single tube tires, NOS 28" wooden rims laced with NOS Columbia ball end spokes, recovered leather saddles, black automotive paint on frames and nickel plating on correct parts. Some of the man's model photos show missing hand grips and I have these to go with it but weren't on the bike when photos were taken. The nickel plating will hand polish up fine.
This pair is $7000 FIRM plus shipping. I can box in heavy cardboard electric bicycle boxes and break down of handlebars and removal of pedals is mandatory to properly pack and ship these.
I ship world wide and local pick up is fine.
Mike Cates, CA.
(760) 473-6201 Phone calls only and I DO NOT TEXT
You can email me as well at: [email protected]

PS: I WILL TAKE A GOOD FAITH NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT AND WORK OUT A PAYMENT SCHEDULE WITH YOU AS I DO ON A LOT OF ANTIQUE BICYCLES I AM SELLING TO MAKE THINGS EASIER FOR YOU TO OWN THESE BEAUTIES.
"EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM".

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

DSCN6083.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

DSCN6073.JPG

DSCN6076.JPG

1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow what's the interest on loan love these bikes what an opportunity for any couple cool bikes

I WILL TAKE A GOOD FAITH NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT AND WORK OUT A PAYMENT SCHEDULE WITH YOU AS I DO ON A LOT OF ANTIQUE BICYCLES I AM SELLING TO MAKE THINGS EASIER FOR YOU TO OWN THESE BEAUTIES. "EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM".

Very nice pair, they way the girls spoon brake attaches to the top underside of the fork is interesting... GLWTS!

Thanks for the nice comment on these bikes.
The front scrub brake actually has a piece of rubber that is cut in a wedge shape so it continually locks itself in the wedge shaped carrier when the tire rubs on it when applying the brake when the bike is moving forward. It also has a screw that locks into the rubber wedge in "if" the bike was rolled backwards and the brake applied which would try to unlock the wedge from it's tapered carrier, ingenious!

Both bikes are now SOLD but I have two more Ladies shaft drive models listed for sale if you search my name Mike Cates you will find them here on The Cabe and they are also listed on ebay.

Back