When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pair of 1972 Suburbans

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Roadkill

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently worked on a pair of chestnut 5 speed Suburbans for a friend, and liked them so much, I bought a pair, in brown, equipped with Schwinn child seats. They were sold by Aurora Cycle in Seattle, Washington. Men's is December 1972, and the ladies is November 1972. I'm gonna go thru them, replace tubes and tires, and ride them, child seats/beer cooler holders and all. This is my first dive into these kind of bikes, other than a 1962 ladies Traveler I got for free. My collection is all 40's and 50's balloon tire bikes, but I'm excited to have picked these up today.
Ride on,
Sean
20200404_125009.jpg

I have a $25 pair in green that I bought from a woman who cried as I put them in my truck. Her favorite memory was her parents riding them together. Each time I see a pair, I remember that moment. I never rode mine with Mama Bear but I will now. Thanks for posting.

Very nice looking bikes. Don't forget those bearings as the grease is mostly solid by now.
Thanks, they are in really nice condition, just filthy. I plan on greasing everything, as it looks like they have been sitting for a long time.
Ride on,
Sean

I have a $25 pair in green that I bought from a woman who cried as I put them in my truck. Her favorite memory was her parents riding them together. Each time I see a pair, I remember that moment. I never rode mine with Mama Bear but I will now. Thanks for posting.
$25?!? Hell of a deal! And I love when bikes stir up memories. I have no Mama Bear, but when I do, I have a bike for her! Lol.
Ride on,
Sean

A great score!!!
They look to be in excellent shape.
I love mine and use it like an utility vehicle.
Hmmm , that child seat would make a nice beer cooler caddy.

The FIVE SPEED Suburbans are the best Schwinn Suburbans. The reason is simple--------the five speed has the better rear derailleur which was made by Shimano for Schwinn (GT-100 from 1970 to very early 1974......and GT-120 from 1974 )
The TEN SPEED Suburban is essentially just a VARSITY in tourist mode with the tubular fork from the Continental.
Same Huret allvit rear derailleur as the Varsity, same gearing as the Varsity, same front derailleur. and the same LS 2.4 brakes (side pull brakes) as the Varsity..................although you do get the Conti's tubular front fork instead of the Varsity's forged blade fork, the SUBURBAN did not get the centerpull brakes of the Continental. The Suburban TEN SPEED has the same model F freewheel with the 28-14 five gears that the Varsity and Continental have. The front Crankwheels and front derailler are the same as VARSITY/CONTINENTAL (39-52).

The FIVE SPEED Suburban has the Model J freewheel, a slightly better design made in Japan by Shimano with 32-14 five gears.
The 32 tooth lowest (1st) gear offers excellent hill climbing capability with the Single 46 tooth front crank wheel.
The Shimano built rear derailleur is twice as good as the Huret unit on the Varsity, Continental, and 10 speed Suburban.

The FIVE SPEED SUBURBANs and the 1970 to circa 1977 Schwinn Collegiate five speed are perhaps the best ever basic Schwinns.
The 1964-69 Collegiates do not qualify as they have the same crummy Huret rear derailleur as mentioned above and the French made Model F freewheel with the 28-14 gearing as the Varsity/Conti./10sp.Sub/ and thus do not have the useful gearing of the 1970 and later Collegiate which offers significantly better hill climbing and the best durability due to Shimano components instead of Huret.
Circa 1977-1978, you have the FFS (forward freewheel system) which I thought worked really well, and it is certainly durable but many people didn't like it because it added weight................... ......it was good in that it allowed folks a goof-proof way to shift because it did not matter if you were pedalling while shifting..................... .........the weight factor was really nothing because Schwinns with electro-forged frames and ashtabula one piece cranks already weighed five tons, so 1/5 th of a pound wasn't gonna matter..............somebody that was concerned about riding a true lightweight bicycle wasn't gonna be riding a Chicago Schwinn, maybe a Panasonic Schwinn but definitely not an electroforged Chicago Schwinn! They are great durable bicycles that have a great ride if you don't mind riding slow because the WEIGHT will limit your top speed capability versus other makes' that are 30 pounds or less. Slow is a relative term, in this context, it means approximately 17 MPH or less cruising speed on level pavement. That is swift enough for most folks and that 40 pounds of Chicago electro-forged steel will be good for your daily exercise. You probably won't find any bicycles that are more durable and simple to repair at any price, than the 1970 through 1977 FIVE SPEED Schwinn Suburban and 1970-1977 five speed Schwinn Collegiate.

The FIVE SPEED Suburbans are the best Schwinn Suburbans. The reason is simple--------the five speed has the better rear derailleur which was made by Shimano for Schwinn (GT-100 from 1970 to very early 1974......and GT-120 from 1974 )
The TEN SPEED Suburban is essentially just a VARSITY in tourist mode with the tubular fork from the Continental.
Same Huret allvit rear derailleur as the Varsity, same gearing as the Varsity, same front derailleur. and the same LS 2.4 brakes (side pull brakes) as the Varsity..................although you do get the Conti's tubular front fork instead of the Varsity's forged blade fork, the SUBURBAN did not get the centerpull brakes of the Continental. The Suburban TEN SPEED has the same model F freewheel with the 28-14 five gears that the Varsity and Continental have. The front Crankwheels and front derailler are the same as VARSITY/CONTINENTAL (39-52).

The FIVE SPEED Suburban has the Model J freewheel, a slightly better design made in Japan by Shimano with 32-14 five gears.
The 32 tooth lowest (1st) gear offers excellent hill climbing capability with the Single 46 tooth front crank wheel.
The Shimano built rear derailleur is twice as good as the Huret unit on the Varsity, Continental, and 10 speed Suburban.

The FIVE SPEED SUBURBANs and the 1970 to circa 1977 Schwinn Collegiate five speed are perhaps the best ever basic Schwinns.
The 1964-69 Collegiates do not qualify as they have the same crummy Huret rear derailleur as mentioned above and the French made Model F freewheel with the 28-14 gearing as the Varsity/Conti./10sp.Sub/ and thus do not have the useful gearing of the 1970 and later Collegiate which offers significantly better hill climbing and the best durability due to Shimano components instead of Huret.
Circa 1977-1978, you have the FFS (forward freewheel system) which I thought worked really well, and it is certainly durable but many people didn't like it because it added weight................... ......it was good in that it allowed folks a goof-proof way to shift because it did not matter if you were pedalling while shifting..................... .........the weight factor was really nothing because Schwinns with electro-forged frames and ashtabula one piece cranks already weighed five tons, so 1/5 th of a pound wasn't gonna matter..............somebody that was concerned about riding a true lightweight bicycle wasn't gonna be riding a Chicago Schwinn, maybe a Panasonic Schwinn but definitely not an electroforged Chicago Schwinn! They are great durable bicycles that have a great ride if you don't mind riding slow because the WEIGHT will limit your top speed capability versus other makes' that are 30 pounds or less. Slow is a relative term, in this context, it means approximately 17 MPH or less cruising speed on level pavement. That is swift enough for most folks and that 40 pounds of Chicago electro-forged steel will be good for your daily exercise. You probably won't find any bicycles that are more durable and simple to repair at any price, than the 1970 through 1977 FIVE SPEED Schwinn Suburban and 1970-1977 five speed Schwinn Collegiate.
Thank you Arnold for the info. The set of 5 speeds I worked on had the same fork as my 10 speeds. The 5 speeds were 1974 and 1975, and had the GT 120 derailleur, while my 1972 10 speeds have the GT 100 derailleur. Those 5 speed bikes are why I bought these. The ride is really smooth, and they are well made, with parts readily available, if needed. And I couldn't pass up the 2 of them for a little more than the price of a crappy department store bike. Plus the Schwinn child seats that match. The men's will get my full attention this coming weekend, but from what little I've cleaned so far, its gonna be a really nice bike when I'm done. Thanks again for all the info, and for the money, why wouldnt everyone want these?
Ride on,
Sean

Back