When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pair of Raleigh Twenty's...Just Bought Them...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I just came home about an hour ago with these two little gems. I already have a 1971 in Green, and I had one in Brown that was cosmetically unappealing and Sold it. So here I am with two more! I need these like a hole in the head! I even asked myself on the drive there, which was less than 5 miles from my house, why i was even going to look at them?!

The years are 1973 and 1975 according to the hub (and shifter on the '75 version). One is missing a rack...the other a pump and original tire. Otherwise, all there. And a big difference from my '71 is that the handlebars on these can be angled, not fixed, which is a bit annoying.

Problem wise, the '75 doesn't engage to pedal (owner said it before I could even test it, so he was honest). I'm hoping just a bit of fine tuning will fix this, along with some oil in the hub.

Chrome overall is in terrific condition, as is most of the paint (the '73 is coffee brown, but the '75 color is a bit more copper). He said they hadn't been used in years and it was time to find them a new home as he was moving. I asked him what he wanted for both, and said $350. I politely told him that we're not even in the same ballpark, so thank you very much anyway for letting me come to at least see them (Ad said $400 for both). He asked what would be my best offer, knowing they would need to be looked over after I explained a few things I need to do. I said "I'll put them both in the SUV right now if you can do $125". He thought about, smiled and said "OK, they're yours".

Time to start playing them! ;)

IMG_0802.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0804.jpeg

IMG_0805.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_0807.jpeg

IMG_0808.jpeg

IMG_0809.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpeg

BTW...I'm a big Disney fan, as my kids and Grand Kids know (and are). They also know my favorite character is Donald Duck...they said I yell like he does, lol.

When I got the bikes home, I looked closer at the bicycle bell. It's Donald Duck! These bikes really were meant to be mine... :tonguewink:

Last edited:
Nice pair! The green seems to be the most common color, then brown, but I've seen them in some other colors as well. I read somewhere (maybe Sheldon Brown?) that these were Raleigh's biggest seller in the '70's.

White was another short lived color.

And I also read that there were a couple of years in the 70's that these bikes outsold every other model that Raleigh made.

Great negotiating skills on your killer two-fer deal. I picked mine up for $75 at a local bike swap meet and the guy seemed relieved I took it off his hands. These old Raleigh’s are real sleepers and deals can sure be had.

I began work on the '75, and there is pitting on the rims that I hadn't seen (didn't look that closely, apparently).

Great News, on it though, is that I got the 3-speed to work. It's what I figured...when they replaced the rear tire, they had no idea how to set it back up properly. Along with the fact that it for a while, I added 3 in 1 oil and a bit of WD-40 and kept playing with it on the bike stand, shifting gears. A half hour later, and it shifts as it should!! :p

IMG_0811.jpeg

Back