When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Panther Skip-tooth with Black-out Bendix, and more ??

-

Classic Cool Rides

Wore out three sets of tires already!
In Memoriam
Hello CABE'rs!
I need some Schwinn experts to help me figure out what Panther model I have!
I started some work today on a Panther in Black OG paint with red accents that has a Bendix "black-out" rear hub and the Brake Arm is Black with Red Bendix Script
Then I realized that the Bottom Bracket CUPS as well as the bearing cones are blackened AND the same is true for the Headset cups and races.
I was told this Panther was an early '50's .... but I'm wondering if was produced during war time and very limited chrome was used ??
Even the Skip-Tooth sprocket shows no sign of chrome plating .... it appears to be "raw" steel.
What year was the Panther model introduced ??
Was there ever a shortage of "plating" the steel during the production of Panthers ??
I will take some pictures on Sunday. As well as getting the serial number .... sorry neither of those as of writing this.
Thank you for any insight on this subject! CCR Dave

The Balloon Panther was from 1950 thru the 54 model year. The Panther was produced during the Korean War and chrome was still being used, although some people called it Korean War Chrome due to the quality of the special war time plating. No black out parts during that time and I'm not sure if bike manufacturers had to follow the same regulations as the auto makers but I doubt it. I assume your bike has a built in kickstand and rear drop outs?

1568516902975.png

The Balloon Panther was from 1950 thru the 54 model year. The Panther was produced during the Korean War and chrome was still being used, although some people called it Korean War Chrome due to the quality of the special war time plating. No black out parts during that time and I'm not sure if bike manufacturers had to follow the same regulations as the auto makers but I doubt it. I assume your bike has a built in kickstand and rear drop outs?

View attachment 1063547

Very interesting! That must be the situation ... I will get some pictures tomorrow, and post them.
Yes to the built-in kickstand question... and the rear drop outs are forward axle-entry style.
The fenders are dent-free BUT are covered in surface rust. When I removed the original rivets the area inside the fenders where the braces have always been covering ... the (rust-free) "thin-chrome-finish" looked more like dull silver than chrome....
The pictures tomorrow will show the rear Bendix "non-chrome" hub shell and the Black brake arm with red script .... Thanks! CCR Dave

It was noted that auto production during 1952 and 53 were effected by the regulation. As far as Schwinn's chrome goes during this time, I haven't seen anything to indicate their chrome was lacking or different than previous or later years. Here's Jay's 53 Panther, a nice original and not restored . https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/b...th-nd-triple-speed-now-going-to-parts.140894/

One thing to take into consideration. The chrome on the inside of the fenders or the chain guards are never as thick or shiny as the outsides. Being somewhat dull would be the norm.

1568521979802.png

Back