When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paraffin wax for 10 speed chain

-
You have some pretty good leeway in matching chains to sprocket spacing.
"8-speed" chains match down to 3 or 4 rear cogs on 115mm OLD (prewar to 1960), and these chains will work on everything made to 2000.
Easy to substitute 9-speed chains on 7 rear cogs, etc. - I also know people doing it the other way.

FWIW, I noticed Wippermann chains run slightly narrower than SRAM for the same chain width designation.

Holy Link, batman...chains are as confusing as wheel sizes, anyway just found this on ebay
s-l500 (1).jpg

This one is apparently for 10 speed ( 5 rear cog ) bikes. Then there is the Wippermann Connex 800, 804,808. :flushed:

try this search

apparently XLC also makes a low-priced stainless steel chain
I've had good luck with Outside Outfitters on bike parts - just keep in mind, they're slow - they repackage and ship, but their prices are often the best.

The only place you must match chain is 11-speed rear
Before that, cog spacing wasn't small enough to matter - plus, 7, 8, 9 are all on the same cog spacing simply with wider rear axle.

Front derailleurs sometimes are sensitive to chain width, but no worries if your FD has plenty of travel and crank arm clearance.
tfRIZAU.jpg

Last edited:
try this search

apparently XLC also makes a low-priced stainless steel chain
I've had good luck with Outside Outfitters on bike parts - just keep in mind, they're slow - they repackage and ship, but their prices are often the best.

The only place you must match chain is 11-speed rear
Before that, cog spacing wasn't small enough to matter - plus, 7, 8, 9 are all on the same cog spacing simply with wider rear axle.

Okay, so what youre saying is I need a XLC or Wipperman 9 speed Stainless chain on my 5 rear cog ,10 speed bike.

Okay, so what youre saying is I need a XLC or Wipperman 9 speed Stainless chain on my 5 rear cog ,10 speed bike.
that will work - might be tricky up front with a triple (if low-Q crank), but the rear won't care.

This search is for Wipperman 8sp stainless, which is just slightly wider.

You also don't necessarily need stainless, though they'll last 15,000+ mi, and won't flash rust when wet, which also keeps the total dirt mass down.

Last edited:
Back