When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paramount/Voyageur parts?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
The ‘82 Voyageur 11.8 I picked up recently is in need of red bar tape and derailleur cable housing. I called the local Schwinn shop and Waterford, neither has any. eBay only has translucent tape.

From what I’ve read this model originally had a gold freewheel and chain. Looking closer, what i thought was rust on the freewheel may actually be the original gold coating. We’ll see how close i can get the bike back to original.

be59697e953a5f881098499fd02f2474.jpg

4d4c83530c00e7147798015ef50bb8cd.jpg

48243fbe11d578ce0e5d4687044410b6.jpg

3a020ad6f6c348e77274cd6b2c7d89fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just looked on EBAY and there were 2004 hits for "red bicycle handle bar tape". Not all were correct but many were. Roger

I just looked on EBAY and there were 2004 hits for "red bicycle handle bar tape". Not all were correct but many were. Roger

At first I was determined to find NOS Schwinn. I’ll be content with any leather tape that matches. I have red cork tape but it feels too cheap for this project.

Plastic Hunt Wild would have been factory. My 1974 P-10 had/has Brooks leather wrap on it and you can still buy that if you want a long lasting comfortable wrap. Roger

I've done a lot of research on this bike. Initially I thought the red bar tape was OEM. Turns out its Italian from Red Ribbon. Probably aftermarket. Some bikes online have red, some black. Schwinn catalog doesn't elaborate. Any idea what OEM color tape was?

Finding a NOS 6-speed chain is damn near impossible unless I want to take chances on some Chinese brand. There's one gold plated freewheel on ebay I may pickup.

I seem to remember assembling these bikes with red Cateye or Tressostar cloth tape in the '70's.
Definitely NOT Hunt Wild plastic.
Varsity had plastic, Conti & Sierra were cloth.

I seem to remember assembling these bikes with red Cateye or Tressostar cloth tape in the '70's.
Definitely NOT Hunt Wild plastic.
Varsity had plastic, Conti & Sierra were cloth.

Interestingly enough the tape on it now is an Italian brand from a company called Bike Ribbon.

I have quite a few rolls of 3/4" bright red cotton tape, NOS in an unmarked clear plastic bag. Seller said they came from an old Schwinn shop when I picked them up in 2011. I have not unrolled one to see what the length is though.

This came in the mail from Bens Cycle. It’s the closest I could find to the original.

df07bc9fcb817622e5809ae9756d8f6f.jpg

Back