When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Park Tools FT-4 FORK CLAMP AND GAUGE

-
Finally the "sticks"or FFG-2 are indicating misalignment on white fork at top of post . It looks minimal + it looks like inner guides are tapered like a valve seat. Maybe outer registers are the flat of tightening nut.. Wouldn't larger washers work as well. Are the sticks secure enough to tweak - fork ends

Yes, I agree, the white forks a the top of the post are slightly off. There is a possibility that the FFG-2 are not centered in the fork tips. There is a difference between the size of a dropout slot and the size of the FFG-2 "axle" which can lead to this.

Yes, the FF-G 2 are secure enough to tweak fork ends, the question for me is "am I strong enough to do it?" This fork is off a modern Chromoly mountain bike and is VERY stiff.

A good friend agreed (was hoodwinked) to help (do all the work) build a Fork Jig. A walk through the scrap metal racks and a stint at the bandsaw produced some building blocks:

IMG_5316.png

Fasten your seat belts, looks like we are following Alice down the rabbit hole...

Last edited:
The fastener pattern is repeated for each edge, the box is formed. Again, this is more akin to the Var use of bolts (no welding) and not like the Park tools design (rectangular tube and welding) that @ivrjhnsn is adeptly using. The end result should be the same, the differences fall into the "how much would it cost to manufacture" realm. Aside from the fasteners, the functional design of this knock-off is loosely based on the Park Tool FT-4 and not the Var 478.
IMG_5352.png

Last edited:
Well golly. I only seldom need to check and straighten forks, but when I do th FT-4 is the right tool for the job. Dissapointing to read they are no longer being manufactured, althouigh I guess most modern forks are not serviceable iwith the FT-4 as they are Aluminum, Carbon, or suspension. I wonder if there are liability concerns selling a product that encourages someone to bend on a critical bicycle element like a fork...

View attachment 1640995

I wonder how hard it would be to make one; a fork jig that is solid and (almost) as good as the Park Tools FT-4
i have one of these and have performed miracles with it.might actually be putting it up for sale soon.i,m going on 66 years old here and havent touched it in years..most shops stay away from frame and fork straightening for liability issues.i have done plenty of frame and fork straightening.and i do know my limitations.i would not send someone out on an unsafe ride.

What if you could drill a hole in main structure to allow the upper legs of Schwinn springer to be locked together. Could we then check straightness of legs from the middle down. ?

What if you could drill a hole in main structure to allow the upper legs of Schwinn springer to be locked together. Could we then check straightness of legs from the middle down. ?

With my meager imagination I see that holes can be drilled most anywhere. Alas, my meager imagination cannot grasp your idea.

Not the case with me. I figgerd the length of your housing would allow the upper points of springer to be secured/. Then the guide could be run along the leg to pinpoint distortion. What I didn't reckon was that a good springer leg would do the same thing if laid alongside.. ..

Back