When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

parking bikes on concrete?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
My car buddy warned me not to park my bikes directly on the concrete he suggested putting some sort of carpet down first. He claimed the concrete is bad for the rubber tires and will dry them out prematurely. I ran this past another buddy and he hadn't heard such a thing. Is there any truth to this? I see it both ways in peoples posts. Thanks for any input. And also white chocolate is not really chocolate it is just coco butter and sugar. I liked it as a kid but not so much anymore.

I never heard of cement damaging a tire but I do know when I stored our vintage motor home in our polebarn on cement for the winter, in the spring it took about 30 miles of driving to get the flat spots out if the bias Ply tires. The sun does dryrot tires and plays havoc with the air pressure in racecar slicks, I would run 4 to 6 lbs. in my slicks but in the direct sun light the pressure would increase to near 15 lbs. That's why you have to check them all the time.

Interesting topic. A little google says the rubber won’t have any chemical reaction with concrete. However, temperature, humidity, ozone and ultra violet do play a major part in rubber degradation. It said store on wood or osb sheet. The doctor says ride bikes often and keep your tires properly inflated. 😜 Then all tire worries will be alleviated.

Interesting topic. A little google says the rubber won’t have any chemical reaction with concrete. However, temperature, humidity, ozone and ultra violet do play a major part in rubber degradation. It said store on wood or osb sheet. The doctor says ride bikes often and keep your tires properly inflated. 😜 Then all tire worries will be alleviated.
I live in upstate NY so most of my bikes have a few months that they sit idle, but otherwise all my bikes get aired up and ridden every other week or so.

My car buddy warned me not to park my bikes directly on the concrete he suggested putting some sort of carpet down first.
your car buddy is nuts.

.... in the spring it took about 30 miles of driving to get the flat spots out if the bias Ply tires.
all bias ply tires do this regardless of what they are parked on.

I see it as similar to leaving a battery on concrete...it kills it
the inner workings of batteries are completely insulated from outside influences other than extreme cold.

Was that not the case with earlier batteries say '60's /'70s?
if the surface a battery sat on had any effect on charging all cars would have rubber or other insulating material on the battery tray. I'm guessing 60's -70's batteries are pretty much the same as the standard modern batteries in that respect. if there was any sort of difference that could make a discharge like that happen it would be much earlier when the cases were made of different material. I believe 30's and 40's batteries had some sort of rubber case while newer ones are polypropelene or other modern plastics.

lead acid batteries have been around since the 1850's. cars got batteries when the electric starter was invented.

Back