When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part of a Park bike stand.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
A friend recently gave me the bike clamp part of a Park tool bicycle stand. It is new, and never has been used. It is frustratingly useless without the stand elements that make it complete. When I contacted Park, they were pretty much disinterested in helping me, unless I was willing to buy a new, complete stand. The toughest part of fabricating something to use with it would be coming up with a decent clamp arrangement to use on the round end of the clamp itself.
Any ideas? I like the idea of having a bike stand around.
Ted

That is a score! All you need to mount the clamp is a piece of pipe that the end of the clamp will slide into. Easiest mount would be one like:
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=23&item=PRS-4W
I'd find a short section of black pipe nipple, drill and tap a hole for the setscrew, and thread the black pipe onto a flange and bolt it to the wall. Anything with a pole and a heavy base could work for a freestanding stand. Check the metal bins and scrapyards near you, or that guy with a yard full of junk- something will turn up.

Not a bad idea. My bench in the garage has space to run a iron pipe all the way through, and I could get a piece long enough to hang out a few feet, and use the clamp part on the end, with a set screw of some sort.

Wall space is at a premium in my shop. But, I have plenty along the front of the bench. Total effort would be two holes punched in the front and back lumber of the bench, a section of black pipe, and a machine screw. I have a drill press and a few taps. I can't see a need to make the pipe permanent, just slide it in and out when I need the stand.

Thanks for the tip.
Ted

That sounds like a good plan. Thinking about it a little more, I'd scout around for something thicker than schedule 40 black pipe just to have a more solid thread for the setscrew. My old Park stand has a threaded bung welded to the pipe, and the screw has to be tightened down with some force to hold a bike in peculiar positions or while hammering out rusted headset and crank cups.
Being able to swivel the bike around is a HUGE advantage, so make sure the pipe is solidly mounted and have a handwheel on the setscrew. Park also makes a bench mount workstand that could give you some ideas:
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=23&item=PRS-4+OS
For what it's worth, I really enjoy having a free-standing workstand I can move around into the light, out of the light, outside, shove out of the way or pack along to another location. The last time I was this deep into bicycles I made a workstand out of a cheap Chinese engine stand and a drill press vise. After lengthening the upright with some angle iron it swiveled and held bikes almost like a real one. I had way more time than money then, and access to some pretty stellar dumpsters.

Back