When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parting Is Such Great Sorrow......

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The product 3 in 1 has been around for years gumming up whatever it's used on. It was another "snake oil" product used by many back in the day. It was advertised as a lubricant that cleaned. How does a petroleum product with lighter fluid act as a decent lubricant? My Dad used it in his old electric motor on his grinder and the 3 in 1 would gum up so another shot of the this oil/cleaner was needed. Now WD-40 is the owner and they have since introduced other 3 in 1 products.

Look at the MSDS sheet for the original (Red/Black) multipurpose oil.

upload_2016-8-22_10-52-45.png

Last edited:
Ok, so the bike is stripped and cleaned, except for the frame. I am having trouble figuring out how to get the chrome pieces off of the head tube so I can polish them up. I assume they unscrew, but I don't want to mar them up with channel locks. I have been spraying the inside of the tube with wd40 hoping the rust will loosen up. Any suggestions for getting these off? I am also looking for a source for grey brake cables and a new shifter cable the Sturmey Archer three speed shifter. I looked on eBay to see if I could find NOS cables, but I really don't know what size/part number I am looking for. I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

To remove the cups all you need is a punch (or screwdriver) and a hammer:

69Repairhead837.jpg

A tool like this can make it easier, but I've removed quite a few headsets and don't have one of these (yet:(

[video]

You can buy gray housing by the foot or as a housing/cable kit on ebay .Jagwire is inexpensive and pretty good quality . If you plan on doing numerous bikes it pays to buy in bulk ,especially if you will be selling them. All the little stuff adds up as I am sure you are finding out. By the time you put tires/tubes,cables/housing,grips/tape,etc. a $25 bike is soon a $ 100 bike.

I am also looking for a source for grey brake cables and a new shifter cable the Sturmey Archer three speed shifter. I looked on eBay to see if I could find NOS cables, but I really don't know what size/part number I am looking for. I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.
Whats wrong with the original housing?

I am also looking for a source for grey brake cables and a new shifter cable the Sturmey Archer three speed shifter. I looked on eBay to see if I could find NOS cables, but I really don't know what size/part number I am looking for. I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.
Whats wrong with the original housing?

Back