When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts Can Get Expensive

-

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=311619206970
40/50s Bartali brake levers
17 bids and currently at over $400...
P1020356_zpstmemm0wm.jpg

P1020355_zpsxwjwdp9g.jpg

Thought 1: That is getting close to the ceiling of what I will pay for an entire bike

Thought 2: Auction feeding frenzies for scarce parts is encouraging the breaking of some really nice old bikes to obtain higher returns on the individual parts. That may or may not have been the case here. I have one bike that I am loathe to sell precisely for this reason; I don't want to have it parted out.

Tell me about it. I'm currently building a '62 Rotrax with period pieces. I'm probably going to go with a new Brooks Swallow seat though because 50+ year old road bike seats are generally pretty beat and I want the bike to look nice as well as perform. V/r Shawn
rotrax6 - Copy.jpg

beautiful lugs
when I see something that nice, I'm often relieved the frame is not my size...minimizes the coveting

Back