When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

parts ??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
M

medman

Ok, Please bear with me I'm brand sapnken new to this !! Boats I can tell ya anything or do anything, bikes I use to just ride them, when they broke we got another one. Anyways now I have picked up an old schwinn mens bike that I would like to restore. I can't seem to find a place to purchase aftermarket parts. I need new fenders (chrome) and other misc. parts handle bars , etc. Is there one place where you can go to purchase everything you need for a classic mens balloon tire Schwinn bike???
Thanks in advance.............

A good place to start would be posting a picture.

The serial number will give you the date of manufacture.

I think some of the Schwinn fenders were stainless, are they dented or rusty.

Regards
Shane

most likely for a schwinn most of the parts you need for this bike are prob available from private party here on the forum

parts for classic bike

Ok, Please bear with me I'm brand sapnken new to this !! Boats I can tell ya anything or do anything, bikes I use to just ride them, when they broke we got another one. Anyways now I have picked up an old schwinn mens bike that I would like to restore. I can't seem to find a place to purchase aftermarket parts. I need new fenders (chrome) and other misc. parts handle bars , etc. Is there one place where you can go to purchase everything you need for a classic mens balloon tire Schwinn bike???
Thanks in advance.............

I don't see a serial ## where would I find it?? The fenders and the handle bar are rusty. What is the average cost of repalcement fenders ??

The serial number will be on the rear dropout where the wheel is mounted on the bike. I think the left side.

Cost is dependent on what you want, just to get it riding - probably $50, more to get appropriate Schwinn stuff.

Depends on the model middleweight or balloon tire etc.

Shane

Personally, I would try and clean the chrome before replacement- you just never know. Sometimes a basic and careful cleaning makes for a very presentable and unrestored bike. Besides, why put new parts on an old bike if you can help it? ;) Authentic Schwinn stuff, new or old, seems to be a little pricey... The old parts and the patina make an old bike what it is, I think- unless the chrome is trashed, I'd try and clean the chrome with 0000 grade steel wool or brass wool- or just get the bike running and leave it "as is". Either way, best of luck with your newly acquired Schwinn, and welcome to the forum.

Parts

I Hear There Is A Place Called E-bay,they Can Be A Good Start To Get The Feel On What The Parts Are Going To Cost.then You Can Go From There.

guy on the net

Therewas a guy on net that had all kinds of replacement parts for jsut about any classic bike. I e-mailed him a couple of times but never got an answer. Now I can't even find him.
I don't see a serial ## where would I find it?? The fenders and the handle bar are rusty. What is the average cost of repalcement fenders ??
There was a guy on net that had all kinds of replacement parts for just about any classic bike. I e-mailed him a couple of times but never got an answer. Now I can't even find him. He bought and sold bikes and parts everything you could need to rebuild an entire bike!!!! Anyone know who he was or what happened to him ??

I agree that you should first try to remove the rust from the fenders and handlebars. If the metal isn't pitted then the rust should come off and your fenders will come out looking like new.

You can safely use grade "0" steel wool on chrome without scratching it. If you're concerned about scratches first do the inside of the fenders. Grade "0000" steel wool is far too fine. Follow up with a traditional car wax or chrome polish to preserve the shiny finish.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no one remanufacturing parts for old bicycles. You'll have to find used or NOS parts. A good source is a local vintage / antique bike shop. Don't waste your time with the new bike shops, they won't have anything.

I wouldn't be too concerned about finding the guy with the "replacement parts." New "one-size-fits-all" replacement parts are entirely incorrect on a vintage bicycle and look ridiculous. Wald makes chrome fenders, but they're one-size-fits-none and look terrible.

Back