When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passenger seat or rear rack?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Hukah

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here's a puzzler (at least to me); I was reading some old bicycle adverts and one of them referred to the rear rack as a passenger seat and I've heard others refer to it as such also, so my question is; "Is it a passenger seat or a rear rack?
Let the debate begin.

BTW; does anyone have a link to one of those ads? I have been trying, to no avail, to find it ever since.
I've got to settle a debate on another group.

As a kid and now I refer to them as the rear rack that was often used as a passenger carrier, never a seat. Phantoms, Panthers, B6, Hornets & Jaguars prior to 59. I call later middleweight wire racks just that. I don't think they were ever intended to be ridden on. But remember, when we were doing this we were all mostly under 100 pounds.

I highly doubt you'll find an ad calling the rear carrier a passenger seat. Let's talk about law suits if that's a passenger seat. They are called carriers by the manufacturers. Front or rear carriers.

1609390533795.png

1609390696283.png

There are racks that are both and yes it is a seat. The rack came with extra attachments once you put rack in proper position to make it more comfortable. I have one and there was one for sale recently on feebay. It was designed for duel use Rack/seat But it was made for children and yes when I weighed 75# I probably would have at least attempted to ride in it. That larger bracket hanging down flips up and locks into the rat trap part creating a frame at back and sides of seat. Then you would install the extra padding to make it more comfortable but you could still use without. Like most products in the past it would never pass todays standards. I learned some of my best lessons getting hurt on dangerous products from the past. I do not have my bike it is in storage when I do I will post pics of it set up. Theses pictures from feebay.

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

Back