When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patina Paint Ideas

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Vincer

Finally riding a big boys bike
I’m sure this has been discussed on this forum before but for some reason not much comes up when I search the topic. What I’m looking for is techniques on how or previous examples where members have repainted a bike so that the paint looks aged or has an old patina look to it. I really don’t want to spend the money on an expensive paint job and then have to re-chrome all the other parts. Some bikes may warrant that, this one does not. Besides I do like the old patina look. If you have any ideas, I’d sure like to hear about it. Thanks in advance. Vince

I’m sure this has been discussed on this forum before but for some reason not much comes up when I search the topic. What I’m looking for is techniques on how or previous examples where members have repainted a bike so that the paint looks aged or has an old patina look to it. I really don’t want to spend the money on an expensive paint job and then have to re-chrome all the other parts. Some bikes may warrant that, this one does not. Besides I do like the old patina look. If you have any ideas, I’d sure like to hear about it. Thanks in advance. Vince

To maintain as much as possible the patina, I only use soft brushes. No spray paints.
I got this idea from reading about techniques used in the early years of automotive painting.

Vehicles were hand brushed with enamel with several coats and in between were “sanded"
with kerosene and when dried were polished by hand with waxed cloths.
IMG_1908.jpg
I don't use kerosene but I will use sable brushes and paint thinners.
When dry I use old cotton towels to remove any shine. I follow-up
with a light coat of wood stain or black enamel paint and wipe it off
soon after... what’s left is a look of old time worn paint.
Using spray paint is good when I want an even coat which looks nice
But in this instance.... I don't want it to look ”nice” or “new”.
I didn’t use the color “Red” as it was originally painted. Instead I used
shades of red to achieve that patina which goes well with the rest of the
bike.

Thanks guys for the info. I'm going to try this and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks guys for the info. I'm going to try this and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I strongly suggest you try this on something that you won't mind if you screw it up.
Also you will find out which works best before attempting it on the actual part that you're trying
to paint.
Good luck!

My Bluebird was missing the rear fender, battery door and rack had to paint and patina it to match. I used saltwater spray to do mine.

How do you control the saltwater from further deteriorating into the rear fender once you’ve achieved the look you like?

The primer protects it. I primered the parts with red primer. Sprayed a thin coat of saltwater and painted over the water. Once the paint drys wipe it down and the paint on the water will come off.

I've got a couple of old fenders I'll try that on. I like the way that came out on your Bluebird and it is the look I'm trying to achieve. Thanks again. Vince

Back