When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Patina" vs "rust"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gary10509

'Lil Knee Scuffer
A few days ago, I posted to another section seeking identification of my grandfather's bike (which as it turns out looks to be a 1915-17 Schwinn-made private badge) and asking for advice on restoration. A few responses urged me to repack the bearings, fix the wheels, and otherwise leave it in its found state, rather than undertaking a full restoration. It's in solid shape. There's no apparent "structural" rust (like bulges, swells or flakes falling off), but it's rusted with surface pitting all over. There's no paint left. As I consider the question of whether to restore, it occurs to me that leaving the bike in this state will allow it to continue to rust. Although antique patina is a pretty cool thing, it seems foolish to allow it to continue to degrade. And isn't that exactly what would happen? I don't think it's possible to leave the patina undisturbed and at the same time prevent further rusting.

Patina fans, what say you?

The CABE way is relatively straightforward:

Patina is what a bike has when someone is trying to sell it to you.

Rust is what the bike has when someone is trying to buy it from you.

It's real easy...
If you plan on keeping the bike the rest of your life, do what you wish with it.
If you may ever sell it... leave it alone
(this will please most people)
It shouldn't degrade in a sheltered environment, unless you live near a coast.

Me, I usually carefully lube and clean and leave alone. You will almost never make $$ on any restoration work. Period.

Many times restored is a misused word. Restored means making it exactly like when new as far as color,decals,etc. Very costly.

Many times restored is a misused word. Restored means making it exactly like when new as far as color,decals,etc. Very costly.

yea, and if it's the wrong usage of "restored" it's basically worthless, and no one will give decent $$ for it....

patina patina patina

Patina ...Nowadays's it's all about keeping it (cars,bicycles,motorcycles etc.) as original as possible.Restored projects unless it is something really rare.The cost to restore a item can drain a bank account fast and in most cases will never get the moneys back . 20 years ago or so the trend was to restore everything ,sometimes to much ,overdone to the point of looking ridiculous,too much chrome,40 coats of gloss paint etc... So in my opinion a bicycle should be left alone ,keep the original finish ,in the long run you or the next owner will find the return to be far greater than something that was restored either too good or a shoddy restoration ...I AM A FAN OF THE PATINA .. LEAVE THE PATINA!

This bike? http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?66037-What-do-I-have-Is-it-worth-it-Where-do-I-start You don't need to worry about it continuing to deteriorate as long as its out of the elements and in a relatively climate controlled environment. Personally I think bikes lose ALL of their appeal when they are restored unless the restoration is done to an excruciating level of detail and look as if they are NOS and I've only seen couple such restorations. One easy and non invasive thing you can do to preserve a bike like yours is just spray the whole thing down with WD40. It gives a glossy wet look and can brighten any remaining paint. I would also not hesitate to clean and treat that leather saddle. I've yet to come up with a good way to do this without darkening the leather slightly but any good leather preservative is better than just letting it continue to dry out and disintegrate. If it were my bike I'd just set out on a hunt for the head badge and go though it mechanically.

This bike? http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?66037-What-do-I-have-Is-it-worth-it-Where-do-I-start You don't need to worry about it continuing to deteriorate as long as its out of the elements and in a relatively climate controlled environment. Personally I think bikes lose ALL of their appeal when they are restored unless the restoration is done to an excruciating level of detail and look as if they are NOS and I've only seen couple such restorations. One easy and non invasive thing you can do to preserve a bike like yours is just spray the whole thing down with WD40. It gives a glossy wet look and can brighten any remaining paint. I would also not hesitate to clean and treat that leather saddle. I've yet to come up with a good way to do this without darkening the leather slightly but any good leather preservative is better than just letting it continue to dry out and disintegrate. If it were my bike I'd just set out on a hunt for the head badge and go though it mechanically.

That's the bike. It's a fun project.

I'm inclined to agree. Any suggestions for the head badge hunt?

yea, and if it's the wrong usage of "restored" it's basically worthless, and no one will give decent $$ for it....

...but it is not always about the money. I had a new GOLD Stingray when I was a kid,sadly it was stolen . Many years later I found that very same model that was rusted beyond showing any real paint. I was not about to leave it looking like crap when I wanted to bring back fond memories of my GOLD Stingray.It now makes me smile everytime I see it,rust/patina would not do that. I wash and waxed that thing everytime my Dad washed and waxed his cars...every saturday morning. All different ways to look at bikes,not just dollar signs.

Back