When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patina - What does it mean to you?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Great topic and yes it does seem like everyone has their own idea of what " patina " is and how far people go from where the bike was found condition-wise and when they consider it complete if they do anything to it. The first bike I'd ever done was a 52 Hornet completely covered in rust when I found it.
My son and I used naval jelly first like I'd seen my Grandpa do many times and then various grades of steel wool with WD-40 and then stopped when I thought it was at a spot it wasn't going to get much better.
Pretty much did the same on a Huffy Dial-your Ride......that bike ended up with Evans200 ( RIP ) who took it to another level clean but I'd still say it had patina.
On the Elgin project I'm working on now it was more just nasty dirty with some rust and scratches etc so we are just doing the WD-40 and steel wool clean up and will stay with that. On this one I decided if there was some nice paint, pins or graphics still on the bike I wanted to see it :)

Once again Great topic........it's going on my " Watch Thread " list - hopefully will see some kool pics !!!

52Hornet.JPG
016.JPG
027.JPG
IMG_2621.JPG
IMG_2637.JPG
IMG_4052.JPG

Thats a good question,,cause why would one want a bunch of dirt and grime in their hubs,bottom bracket,steer tube,or any other place that dirt and grime would wear things out to the point where you replace what is oringinal to the bike,I have not tried those umm bath things that most do ,,but I must admit,,it brings the bike back to its age of today,,and thats ,,whats the word?? Oh yeah ,,patina Ya all have seen those that clear coat rust???Reckon reason they what to preserve that patina,to each their own .I have learned over many years that today I will leave it the way its is,just cleaned up and tidy,,no more Testors Cad Colored Paint for me on those fender supports!!!Patina ,,thats a good question
Ya All Have A Goodin,,Now Hear

Buy a nice original or buy an original with patina.Clean ,service the bike and leave it.Except in rare cases "restored" bikes loose a lot of value.I have a few that were "restored" but they look nice and I got them at a good price.One belonged to an old rival and friend.lol Ed Boros.RIP.

Back