When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patina

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi @Ron In this condition, I'd use a light soapy water washing and thoroughly dry. WD-40 and 0000 steel wool used gently on areas with rust, being careful around decals as previously mentioned. On the chrome, a brass brush and WD-40 and 0000 steel wool followed by a metal polish.
For the paint, lightly use a Rubbing compound...then a Polishing compound...then a Polish...and lastly a Carnauba wax.

This is how I do all of my bikes, depending on the condition I receive them. 🙂 I usually go through 1-2 rolls of paper towels for all of this, but a cloth for the final waxing.

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

I swear by the Original GO Joe
It is water based hand cleaner , wipe off only what you want to come off . Best part it’s not all greasy. When it dries looks fantastic. Basically soap and water. It’s not that difficult

From a 2015 article I wrote:

Two fenders from the same bike. Both in about the same condition to start with. The top fender was submerged in mild oxalic acid solution, the bottom fender was treated with WD40 and 0000 steel wool.

8.8.15%2B004.jpg

Both treatments improved the fenders considerably. The WD40 and 0000 steel wool provided a more consistent overall presentation - that of an old fender with somewhat worn paint and some dark spots. The oxalic acid treatment provided more rust removal but also left bright bare spots.

On most bikes, I would go with the WD40 and 0000 steel wool before subjecting to oxalic acid. I would still use OA on fenders where more radical rust removal is needed and where you are able to establish that it would not damage the paint (some red and orange paints are damaged by it)

For final polish, I use Scratch Doctor or ScratchX or similar car polish.

From a 2015 article I wrote:

Two fenders from the same bike. Both in about the same condition to start with. The top fender was submerged in mild oxalic acid solution, the bottom fender was treated with WD40 and 0000 steel wool.

View attachment 1565744

Both treatments improved the fenders considerably. The WD40 and 0000 steel wool provided a more consistent overall presentation - that of an old fender with somewhat worn paint and some dark spots. The oxalic acid treatment provided more rust removal but also left bright bare spots.

On most bikes, I would go with the WD40 and 0000 steel wool before subjecting to oxalic acid. I would still use OA on fenders where more radical rust removal is needed and where you are able to establish that it would not damage the paint (some red and orange paints are damaged by it)

For final polish, I use Scratch Doctor or ScratchX or similar car polish.

Thank you sir!

IDK but fenders look like Green Schwin on black frame, that's going to look funky if or when it shines up. Yet, it's your bike so, do what please U and Boo the rest. . Regardless, want to double up on the pin stripe warnings. As it appears now, looks like somebody didn't know and washed some of the pin stripping off. Don't do it again or say Bye, bye to what's left. IDK why but most bike's pin stripes are a different paint. They dry poorly and become powdery so, they'll get very easy to just wash off.

Back