When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal Changes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goods and services ONLY. If the seller is legitimate, he won't care. If sellers are good businessmen, they will factor the 4% into the cost of goods sold.

I wish The CABE would help adopt a Strongly Recommended Policy that all PayPal sales here on The CABE need to be Goods and Services. It would save a lot of anxiety.

When a seller insists on F & F, he is basically saying that he is not willing to guarantee that you will receive your purchase.
Why on earth would the CABE have to impose such a rule?? 1. Many people here know on another or are familiar with one and other. 2.As a buyer you are not required to accept F & F.
In todays world I would much rather receive a personal check and ship when it clears(right away if I know them). This has worked well for 20 years.

As a seller, I would always want to protect my buyers. Say I have a porkchop front hub for sale. A Caber buys it an says he'll send me a check which he does the next day. I get the check and deposit it and on the way home from the bank I have a heart attack and die. My widow knows nothing of the transaction. The buyer sends messages and gets no reply. The buyer, who lives in Spokane, can't afford the plane ticket or the inconvenience to come to Florida, find my house, try to explain to my widow about some obscure bike part and then fly home again. Not only has he lost the part he wanted for his project, but he has lost a bunch of money and time.

Now, if I had sold the hub to my friend in Spokane using Paypal Goods and Services and died in my sleep that night, he wouldn't have gotten his hub but he would have gotten his money back.

Who needs the drama? Why wouldn't an honest seller want the best for his buyer?

Did you ever get a fake postal money order? I have. I just ask for personal checks now and wait for them to clear which is very fast these days.
The postal service has their own police force, and they would take a fake postal money order very seriously. Hopefully you reported it.
I got one, one time, that came from a small post office "out in the sticks" somewhere. It was a legit money order, but an old one that didn't have all the features of the current version. Like watermarks or something, I can't remember for sure, it was a while ago. Anyway, I took it to the post office to cash it, and the clerk had to call over a supervisor to look at it, thinking it was fake. Supervisor determined it was real and gave the clerk the ok to cash it.

As a seller, I would always want to protect my buyers. Say I have a porkchop front hub for sale. A Caber buys it an says he'll send me a check which he does the next day. I get the check and deposit it and on the way home from the bank I have a heart attack and die. My widow knows nothing of the transaction. The buyer sends messages and gets no reply. The buyer, who lives in Spokane, can't afford the plane ticket or the inconvenience to come to Florida, find my house, try to explain to my widow about some obscure bike part and then fly home again. Not only has he lost the part he wanted for his project, but he has lost a bunch of money and time.

Now, if I had sold the hub to my friend in Spokane using Paypal Goods and Services and died in my sleep that night, he wouldn't have gotten his hub but he would have gotten his money back.

Who needs the drama? Why wouldn't an honest seller want the best for his buyer?
Very much fringe cases indeed. The wonderful news here is that you can drive the bike you want so to speak. Its your money your choice. Life is good man.

I never received a collector book that was supposedly delivered to my house by the USPO. They were very unhelpful. Whether it's FF or G&S, as long as the buyer or seller factors it in the purchase or sale price it's all good.

1701302689603.gif

I never received a collector book that was supposedly delivered to my house by the USPO. They were very unhelpful. Whether it's FF or G&S, as long as the buyer or seller factors it in the purchase or sale price it's all good.

View attachment 1946107
And big brother would love us for that. All getting W9's and if big brother doesn't agree your screwed if you can't prove it. We can't afford to defend ourselves like the rich kids.

I have several hobbies and I buy stuff from all around the world. I have been buying off the internet for about 25 years. Do I have horror stories? Well, of course.

I proudly buy from the vendors here. Most of the members here are fine people who have been very nice to me. There are only one or two members here that I wouldn't buy from if they were selling gold bars for 2 bucks a piece. The ones that I have a great deal of respect for and the ones that I buy the most from are Bob Snyder, Scott M, and Mark Mattei. In Bob's case, even though he sells on Ebay, I usually contact him and inquire as to whether or not he has something I am looking for. If he has it, I ask him to quote it. If I accept, he sends me a PAYPAL Invoice that specifically states Goods & Services. He does that to protect me, his customer. Every purchase with Scott is protected by Ebay...for my benefit.

I have friends here. To protect their privacy, I will not mention their names. In the past, they have been VERY VERY helpful and kind, to the extent of even GIVING me valuable bike related items. I would do anything I could to help them.

Goods and Services is in NO way a threat to anybody's integrity. To the contrary, it is an honorable way to do business because it is good for both the seller and the buyer.

If a member here had a part that I wanted and needed and he insisted on selling it via PayPal Friends and Family, would I buy it? Of course I'd buy it, unless Bob or Scott or Mark or one of my other close friends had the same part, but then I would buy it from them out of friendship and respect, not because I thought the other seller was dishonest.

Maybe I'm just too old. I was brought up being taught that the customer was the most important part of any business deal and that "a deal isn't a deal unless it's good for everybody."

If I have said anything in this thread that was offensive to anyone here at The CABE, I sincerely apologize.

Last edited:
I have several hobbies and I buy stuff from all around the world. I have been buying off the internet for about 25 years. Do I have horror stories? Well, of course.

I proudly buy from the vendors here. Most of the members here are fine people who have been very nice to me. There are only one or two members here that I wouldn't buy from if they were selling gold bars for 2 bucks a piece. The ones that I have a great deal of respect for and the ones that I buy the most from are Bob Snyder, Scott M, and Mark Mattei. In Bob's case, even though he sells on Ebay, I usually contact him and inquire as to whether or not he has something I am looking for. If he has it, I ask him to quote it. If I accept, he sends me a PAYPAL Invoice that specifically states Goods & Services. He does that to protect me, his customer. Every purchase with Scott is protected by Ebay...for my benefit.

I have friends here. To protect their privacy, I will not mention their names. In the past, they have been VERY VERY helpful and kind, to the extent of even GIVING me valuable bike related items. I would do anything I could to help them.

Goods and Services is in NO way a threat to anybody's integrity. To the contrary, it is an honorable way to do business because it is good for both the seller and the buyer.

If a member here had a part that I wanted and needed and he insisted on selling it via PayPal Friends and Family, would I buy it? Of course I'd buy it, unless Bob or Scott or Mark or one of my other close friends had the same part, but then I would buy it from them out of friendship and respect, not because I thought the other seller was dishonest.

Maybe I'm just too old. I was brought up being taught that the customer was the most important part of any business deal and that "a deal isn't a deal unless it's good for everybody."

If I have said anything in this thread that was offensive to anyone here at The CABE, I sincerely apologize.
Nice post. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

The change to the IRS implementation is because, of course, it was a massive floor reduction for the 1099-K. It probably created a huge administrative headache for some of these payment companies because you're going from a relatively small number of your users qualifying for the 1099-K to a huge number over just one year. It also was an unpopular measure and next year is a presidential election year, with an apparently close race at hand. Then there's the IRS end of things, which is receiving a copy of the 1099-K, another administrative burden that jumps. So the pieces were in place for an administrative delay.

Paypal has taken somewhat inconsistent positions as to the use of Friends & Family for commerce type payments over the years. They've always said "you shouldn't do it", but beyond that have changed. Originally they took a hard line, said it was a violation of the terms of service, and you potentially could lose your account. I am not sure how many accounts they actually closed or suspended as a result. More recently, their position is that you lose "buyer protection", which is true, but I no longer see the repeated warnings of getting your account closed or the like. I guess they've admitted it goes on and they can't stop all of it.

The seller should offer more than one means of taking payment - USPS MO, personal check, meet and pay cash, Paypal, etc. If someone demands Paypal Friends&Family as the only way, then I do get suspicious to some degree. There is more than one way to avoid having the seller lose out due to the fee and something can be worked out in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back