When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal Backwards to Shift-The Cambio Corsa/Paris-Roubaix Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yes, and this past year, 2021 edition was the best/most grueling, one I’ve ever seen.

I doubt that when Fausto Coppi won it using Campagnolo’s lever activated derailleur, he did much shifting while on the cobblestone sections.

Great thread Shawn!

I love reading about Tullio’s inspiration for this shifting system. For those interested this is a must have book on the subject! It is easy to fantasize buying a 1 Euro ancient stone house in Italy to create a base camp (Italian towns are offering up abandoned homes to increase tax revenue). Then travel around the country trying to find these marvelous machines.

A small side note, sorry to go off topic: Ed Berry, Jr. discovered the earliest known derailleur bicycle in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It is thought to be from 1885-1890.

9908F4CD-3C06-46C8-A8C4-C3EC4AA4C228.jpeg

40B5163B-0CEE-4A28-B83E-0A0D3DF6A3A9.jpeg

56EF23AA-0588-4DEE-BEC9-C065729A9EBE.jpeg

347EECD3-F751-481B-89E7-E5442DD7EE53.jpeg

When I saw the “ Paris- Roubaix “ title , I had to show you this...shifting that rig on this route doesn’t seem easy...even if you don’t speak French , this is a great video ...
At least the rider on the ordinary didn't have to worry about shifting, but the way his elbows were bouncing when he was going over those cobbles I bet he wished he had some kind of suspension!

Did you swap the 3-speed for a 4-speed freewheel on the 'Baldini' @Freqman1?
I'm thinking of going down the same route with my 'Cicli Vecchi'.
I was also wondering what size sprockets are on those NOS 'Regina' clusters you posted earlier on 8n this thread? Presumably they are all in 2 teeth steps?

Did you swap the 3-speed for a 4-speed freewheel on the 'Baldini' @Freqman1?
I'm thinking of going down the same route with my 'Cicli Vecchi'.
I was also wondering what size sprockets are on those NOS 'Regina' clusters you posted earlier on 8n this thread? Presumably they are all in 2 teeth steps?
I haven’t yet. I have a spare 4-speed to put on it but just haven’t got around to it yet. I haven’t counted the teeth either to determine gearing but it doesn’t matter to me. V/r Shawn

I haven’t yet. I have a spare 4-speed to put on it but just haven’t got around to it yet. I haven’t counted the teeth either to determine gearing but it doesn’t matter to me. V/r Shawn
Thanks Shawn.
I'm not particularly too worried about the gear ratios either, it was more a question of whether 2 teeth steps in the size of the cogs is absolutely necessary?
I think all of the 4-speed freewheels I've seen used are 15-21 in range, but there are 14-22 (and probably other options) out there; I'm guessing that the length of (and number of teeth on) the dropouts may not cope with a wider range.

-----

newly begun discussion thread today on a Gerbi Cambio Corsa made with provision for a "regular" gear mech -

-----

-----

newly begun discussion thread today on a Gerbi Cambio Corsa made with provision for a "regular" gear mech -

-----
Interesting machine, but as one of the posters in the thread mentions, it probably won't work with a Cambio Corsa mechanism and a 5-speed block, and a twin chainring to boot!
Unless those dual purpose dropouts are extra long on the 'toothed' section.

They have lovely bikes on 'steelvintages' site but I often find their descriptions a little inaccurate at times.
I see there is also a mention that the 'combined system' rear dropout wasn't available at the date they're describing the bike as being!

It could have been fitted with a 'Paris-Roubaix' mech. originally I guess, but more likely it had a conventional early Campagnolo rear mech. and this has been added to help with the sale.

That 'Gerbi' fork crown though.....
Screenshot_20220613-193924_Chrome.jpg

...Bellissimo!!!!!

Last edited:
-----

the thinness midway betwixt the socket for the steerer and the plugs for the blades on the Gerbi's crown is somewhat reminiscent of the Harrington crown employed on the Raleigh Competition of ca. 1972-1973

it differs from the Cinelli and Davis designs in this regard

-----

Back