When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal disassembly?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sunset~ave_schwinn

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can anyone tell me some tips and tricks to disassemble these to type of pedals..I can tell the one from the late 60’s is a “heavy duty” version of the early models that you can pry off..I’m going to chrome plate them so also if you have ideas for whys to secure the rods that would help. Thanks

I have some of those. They are disposable pedals deliberately made so you can't service them. You will have to drill or file the mushroomed part to get the nut to unscrew, and then possibly make new shafts if they are too short to re-use (probably). Once you get it apart, you will most likely find that the cone is staked in place so that you cannot remove it to service the bearings. The axles probably don't even have threads, not that it matters because disassembly will destroy them. They were soft and almost always bent anyway. Also, even if you can find some axles out of better pedals that will fit, there is not enough room under the outer plate for the lock nut. You might be able to get around it by turning the barrel upside down to reverse the cups, or parting out another set of pedals for inner cups, shortening the barrels, and using inner cups for both inner and outer.

Chrome is expensive. IMHO get some Torringtons or other serviceable pedals if you are going to invest in chrome. This isn't worth doing.

-----

one technique employed by some enthusiasts for pedals of this design is to drill a small hole of about two mm or so in the endcap and then use a grease gun to force grease in

one continues until clean grease can be seen issuing from the gap around the spindle at the pedal's inner end

-----

I have some of those. They are disposable pedals deliberately made so you can't service them. You will have to drill or file the mushroomed part to get the nut to unscrew, and then possibly make new shafts if they are too short to re-use (probably). Once you get it apart, you will most likely find that the cone is staked in place so that you cannot remove it to service the bearings. The axles probably don't even have threads, not that it matters because disassembly will destroy them. They were soft and almost always bent anyway. Also, even if you can find some axles out of better pedals that will fit, there is not enough room under the outer plate for the lock nut. You might be able to get around it by turning the barrel upside down to reverse the cups, or parting out another set of pedals for inner cups, shortening the barrels, and using inner cups for both inner and outer.

Chrome is expensive. IMHO get some Torringtons or other serviceable pedals if you are going to invest in chrome. This isn't worth doing.
So you were right, they’re disposable. All my ideas failed so I ordered a nos pair for the 67’ and eventually have them polished. Thanks for you knowledge 👍

Back