When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal identification? Phillips Apollo?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GoodLifeBikes

Look Ma, No Hands!
Can anyone ID this pedals. Looks similar to some Phillips Apollo pedals but not sure what the design is on the end cap.

20220617_103601.jpg

20220617_103557.jpg

20220617_103550.jpg

20220617_103533.jpg

End cap design is a Raleigh mark. It’s of the man standing, not the heron symbol.

-----

end cap marking is Sir Wally tossing his cape to rescue The Lady from the mud puddle

he has before him a shield bearing the letters "R I" indicating Raleigh Industries

1655498611561.png

---

the Phillips Apollo model pedal enjoyed quite a long production life

IIRC have seen at least two variants

our Brit experts are sure to be able to say more...

here is a Phillips pedal catalogue page from the 1930's

your pedal certainly appears to match the one identified as an Apollo model at the Speedplay Pedal Museum, image courtesy of Speedplay Museum -

-----

The 39' catalog is what I have also.
Yours, and the ones from the Museum that Juvela displayed above are the same ones I have on my Armstrong that I bought as being 1940-50's Apollos. I was told that that a hole was put in the end cap starting in the 50's to equalize pressure inside while spinning fast so no hole in the cap was 40's and earlier.
Of-course not sure if that applies to pantographed end caps.

Funny that the 35' catalog states that some of their bike kits come with Apollo pedals but they aren't shown on the pedal page. I also have heard that the side plates changed somewhere along the line.

It also looks like that pedal has cracks on the inside end plate.

I always assumed the hole was for getting some oil inside. equillizing the preasure? What pressure would that be???

I always assumed the hole was for getting some oil inside. equillizing the preasure? What pressure would that be???
I guess the rotational pressure squeezing grease, not oil, out the edges.
The caps easily unscrew to re-grease. Oil would be kinda messy.

Back