When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal restoration...?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've modified rubber pedal blocks on a Harbor Freight milling machine. I used a milling cutter with a high spindle speed and a slow feed. For donor rubber material, you could maybe use a pedal block or ask at a BIG tire store or big rig shop that does tire retreading. You could probably find some on eBay. Gor this application, black polyurethane might be easier to find. Rubber does not cut well, but it does grind easily. Do the Yamaguchi rubbers have an I-beam like profile or are they just flat strips?

I'll post a pic tomorrow. They're an I-Beam. I'll show you my "solution"...and we can go from there. I haven't done any work on it just yet. Just gathered some possible materials...thanks for your suggestions.

Here're a few pics of what I have right now. The slim blue piece is from the original pedal. No idea what its original color was, IF that's a fade to blue. I was thinking of using the green pedal block for cutting/fitting. The color of the bike is a greenish-silver. But given the difficulty of cutting the block - I've done nothing yet. And might not. What do you think?

Pedal 1.JPG

Pedal 2.JPG

The corner bevel on the green blocks going to look a little strange if you cut them down, even if the flange width of the I-beam is the same as the distance from the outside of the square hole to the outer surface of the block is the same. What tools do you have or can wrangle access to? From my limited experience rubber likes a high speed tool and a slow feed rate. Are you sure none of the Columbia, Cleveland or Crescent rubbers at the bicycle pedal rubbers site won't work? They can be modified by punching new holes, widening the web with a grinder, etc. I'd just start with a block of 98 durometer urethane from eBay. Rip it to width and length on a tablesaw, mark out the width of the web and grind out the recess- ideally on a milling machine or a drill press with a milling attachment, but you could do it freehand with a Dremel if you are careful.

Thanks for the advice. I'll dig deeper into available pedal rubbers/durometer urethane. I have a wide variety of tools available - but milling capabilities of any sort? Zero. I do have 3 Dremel tools. No sense hacking up that green rubber pictured if it ain't going to work out.I'll be back...and once again - thanks!

Hmm... I wonder if a router table couldn't accomplish the kind of shaping you desire. It isn't the same thing as a milling machine, but...sorta.

Back