When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PEDERSEN unique vintage steel truss frame bicycle - $2,500 (Hollywood)

-

Pondo

Finally riding a big boys bike
Found this on SoCal craigslist. Cool bike. I had no idea someone was reproducing these. Looks like a really nicely built bike too:

1625870990906.png

Yeah, this thing is actually set up very nicely. It's probably a pretty good deal at $2500 to the right buyer.

I have built several of these frames myself and ride one regularly, they are actually quite comfortable once you get used to the seat. Riding position is very upright and visibility is great. There are at least 2 builders in Germany plus Solling in Denmark but the seller is quite correct -they are rare in the US. $2500 is very fair for that one, as it has really some nice bits on it in addition to the $1500 hub -it won't last long.
They are a ton of work to build as no standard frame building fixtures are of any use, you have to improvise.

I have built several of these frames myself and ride one regularly, they are actually quite comfortable once you get used to the seat. Riding position is very upright and visibility is great. There are at least 2 builders in Germany plus Solling in Denmark but the seller is quite correct -they are rare in the US. $2500 is very fair for that one, as it has really some nice bits on it in addition to the $1500 hub -it won't last long.
They are a ton of work to build as no standard frame building fixtures are of any use, you have to improvise.
That's very cool. I intend to learn to braze frames at some point just to do some small projects on my bikes. It must be a ton of work to build one of these frames. Do you have any pics posted of your bikes?

That's very cool. I intend to learn to braze frames at some point just to do some small projects on my bikes. It must be a ton of work to build one of these frames. Do you have any pics posted of your bikes?
I posted one in the vintage section a year or so ago. Yes, lots of work to build the first one but once have your fixturing figured out the next ones are somewhat easier. I have built quite a few more traditional frames and needed a challenge.

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

Pedersen towers.jpg

HTjunction.jpeg

looks like they knew nothing about proper cycling ergonomics back then. I think that is just plain goofy.
They knew quite a bit about ergonomics back then (ca.1900). The reason this design eventually (WW1-ish) went out of production was they were far more expensive than diamond frame bikes. Seat position, c-c distances, wheelbase and stay lengths are all within cruiser type geometry. The main point of the design (other than the hammock saddle) is that all loads are "straight-line" (tension and compression) -no bending moment.

Back