When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penetrating oils.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
$20+ for a gallon of acetone and another $20 for a gallon of ATF is still less than $110 for a gallon of Kroil. And for your $40 you have two gallons instead of one. Pretty simple math. Granted, it’s more than it used to be, but what isn’?

I did the acetone/ATF deal for a while. This went around the old car world (HAMB) and antique tractor scene some year ago and was a hot topic of discussion. I guess I didn't have the ideal storage method because the acetone evaporation aspect was annoying. I will say that Kroil is fantastic though. I get it from Zoro with a coupon and it's not very expensive no more than a bicycle hobbyist uses. The little Kroil oiler cans last a long time.

The chart originated, if I recall, with Machinist's Workshop Magazine quite a number of years ago. Other tests have been done since then, and the results vary.

(For example -
).
[Spoiler - the Liquid Wrench won, followed by the Acetone-ATF combination, but heat did better than both].

Different products do well in different circumstances. Each test is a little different. But there seem to be a few recurring lessons:
  • Any product within a mile of correct for the task is better than nothing.
  • When you can apply it, heat helps if it's a steel-steel joint.
  • The Acetone-ATF thing is not a myth, it actually does help if the circumstances are correct.
  • Liquid Wrench and Kroil cycle in and out of favor, depending on the test, but again, it's better than doing nothing.
  • WD-40 tends to work better as a preventative than a penetrating oil, but is still better than nothing.
  • The smell of PB Blaster comes up as a complaint occasionally.
I would use Kroil or Liquid Wrench over ATF/Acetone where you are dealing with a painted area, where you are applying any more than minimal heat, and if you are doing a longer term soak. Acetone/ATF is great if you don't have to deal with paint, can't apply heat, and want to go straight at it.

My go-to, if given the choice, is heat and Kroil or heat and Liquid Wrench. I apply the oil, heat gradually until it starts to bubble in the joint, then apply a little more oil and let cool. But I've also used ATF/Acetone and it works nicely when the circumstances are right.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned this before but I mostly use Kroil. When they got bought a few years back prices went up dramatically. Luckily I had stockpiled. But anyway I usually give whatever I'm trying to get loose a little tap with a hammer or whatever to set up a little vibration after I spray it. I'm with the Catfish, I usually spray everything for a week or even longer before I even try and take it apart.

Acetone/ATF is sold as Gibbs penetrating oil .I have unstuck lots of frozen parts over the yrs .you can get it on ebay

Last edited:
A lot of great info. on this thread. This is by far the most difficult thing that I ever had to take apart. The handlebar stem rusted into the front fork. Unable to heat it up properly because of the frame. Months of soaking in PB & ATF/ Acetone. Used a couple of sacrificial bolts, washers, & a hammer drill on the stem bolt hole. After a couple of weeks of periodic hammering, almost gave up until I started to see a couple of little bubbles coming out of the joint. Patience payed off.

D6F0B3E8-66D6-4F14-8D21-DD26DFD45915.jpeg

D295399E-3605-49D9-AF73-7CDFD70CE032.jpeg

Back