When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny farthing identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

yobuttin

On Training Wheels
I wanted to see if anyone had any info on a penny farthing I just inherited. It has a 52" front wheel. Its covered in spray paint. I am going to check around the neck part for any dates or serial numbers this weekend. Id like to find out the year and make/model.

If it is an original and not a reproduction, I may want to get it professionally restored and display it in our house. Any idea what something like that would run? And, in its current condition without touching it, what would this even be worth?

Thanks for the help.

IMG_20190623_162900.jpg

IMG_20190623_162913.jpg

IMG_20190628_053722.jpg

IMG_20190628_053747.jpg

IMG_20190628_053756.jpg

Appears to be real with a contrived brake and "issues" Restoration is not cheap- maybe try to strip paint and display as is (unless you intend to ride)
I m sure experts will chime in

Yeah...not sure whats up with the brake...and the hunk of wood under the seat probably isnt factory, lol. Im not opposed to spending money to have it looking really good again.

Looks like a 1885 Columbia Expert. The "spoon brake, brake handle, and saddle parts" can be deposited in the nearest trash can.
You'll find the patent info on the dust shield under all that gunk. The serial number you will find under the fork head on the back side and also on top of the backbone neck. The wheel size is stamped on the backbone neck at the end of the backbone. I can't see from your photos if there is the mounting step. This bike is very restorable and you may even find some of the original nickel plating. New pedal rubber is available. The handlebar needs to be turned around and possibly reshaped. I have to take my hat off however to the "restorer/grease monkey, blacksmith" for his cleverness in coming up with whatever was available.

Thanks for the info Craig. Ill have to see about pulling the serials from the locations you said. It does have the mounting step.

Do you know of any places in the US who restore these bikes? Im really considering having it worked over if I can find someone. I know its expensive but with the history of it, wife and I think we should do it. I said on another forum that my grandfather rode it when he was with the masons...but he rode it in parades when he was a shriner. Another shriner passed it off to him and he rode it for a while...then it sat in a garage for 60ish years.

Thanks for the info Blue. The color scheme on that 3rd picture you posted is gorgeous.

I was able to use some nail polish remover and scrub the paint off, combined with a light wire brush. Looks like the serial is 2902. The 9 isnt very clear but I didnt want to scrub anymore, and the 2 in front isnt deep like the others. There is a lot of paint build up on it. It looks like there is some pitting from rust I assume. Unless there is also more paint build up that would be smoothed out a little if it was blasted off professionally.

IMG_20190628_205843 (1).jpg

Last edited:
It has that Columbia swing spring saddle,, Craig, could make a nice brake set for this Columbia Expert, if you stripped the paint , it will look nicer

Back with an update. Its been a while since I last posted. Craig had the bike for the past 10 months doing a complete overhaul. I must say, we were not disappointed. The bike was hardly recognizable when we saw the finished product. We couldnt envision it ever looking this good considering what it looked like originally. Here are some pics...

Before:
IMG_20200821_182344.jpg

After:
IMG_20200821_182342.jpg

IMG_20200821_180253.jpg

IMG_20200821_180247.jpg

We were originally going to lay it down in the back of the truck, but Craig was nice enough to throw together a stand so we could stand the bike upright in the back of the truck. It was a 4.5 hour drive home and the bike didnt move an inch.
IMG_20200821_175803.jpg

We wanted to hang it from the ceiling as a display piece. I threw together some pieces of wood and ran a plank across so we could balance the bike while we attached the cable.
IMG_20200822_122904.jpg

Its difficult to see but the bike is attached by 3 ceiling brackets. All of the weight is supported by the handlebars. I attached two cables (one on each side.) This was Craig's recommendation and he was spot on. The other two cables are attached to the back peg. One just keeps it level, and the other keeps it aligned. Originally, I only have 3 cables connected, but the bike started to spin a little where it wasnt parallel with the wall.

This photo shows me screwing in the 3rd ceiling bracket. This one keeps it from moving and keeps it parallel to wall.
IMG_20200822_143915.jpg

This is the finished result
IMG_20200822_172018.jpg

IMG_20200822_143718.jpg

Thanks again to Craig for the amazing work. If you're looking for someone to restore your bike, I would recommend him for sure.

Back