When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny farthing identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Congratulations, wonderful save of a bike with an interesting history! Nice to see it safe and sound in fine working condition, ready to roll for another century!

Kyle, I'm glad you are enjoying it. What did your grandfather say about it?
He didnt get to see it yet. He's in an assisted living facility and they're basically on lock down at the moment. We'll have to show him some pictures until he can see it in person.

That is a great looking bike, with a nice color scheme. Its hard to believe its the same bike. The red tires look especially good.

Craig, the bike looks great! As I am sure you have realized by this point the 85's had the second "semi tubular" rear fork. I am not looking at serial numbers at this point but I would suspect that bike is 1883. 83 and 84 are hard to differentiate but 82-84 had the first style (and I think oft broken) rear fork. The only difference between 83 and 84 that I can think of off the top of my head is the rear spring seat "clamp" for lack of a better word, for the rear of the seat spring that is screwed to the backbone. the 83's were a plain forging, the 84 had the anti rattle style with a screw in it. I think that doesn't apply here with the optional swing spring, but I would suspect Columbia put out at least 3000 experts the first two years as they sold 1079 of the primitive standards the first two years of that model.

Back