When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perhaps my last thread before being banned from the CABE

-

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
In my quest for a definitive answer, I have been posting the same question(s), with slight variations, so as to avoid the ire of those kind souls who’ve attempted to help me.

Backstory: like many here, I have spent a significant amount of time and resources on research and parts accumulation to accurately build up my prewar DX.
Mine appears to be either a 1940 or 1941 model.
My problem with this build is there are significant differences between the two years ( as I understand it ) for both parts and paint motif.

At the risk of becoming the most redundant ( read: “most insufferable, annoying, etc.” ) poster on the CABE; I am now going to pose these questions “one last time” in my search for the bottom line.

Attached below are screen captures of two
separate Schwinn serial number/date charts. One was submitted by a CABE member some years back, the other from BicycleChronicles.

My DX’s serial number is F42865 ( it has a notched seatpost clamp ) which
would place it as either a ‘40 or ‘41 depending on which chart one refers to.

So my questions to the most knowledgeable among you :

- Is this a 1941 or 1942 ?

- Contingent on the answer to the above:
Which is the correct chain guard; the short, unbranded version, or the long version, with the Schwinn decal, that extends beyond the seat stay ?

- Also contingent on the first question; would this bike have the “spear point “ paint scheme? Or the later “fireball” paint scheme ?

THE CHARTS:

MY FRAME:

THE TWO SCHWINN PAINT MOTIFS :

Well, that outta do it. Please, be gentle...

Self Correction : My question ( according to the two date charts ) was meant to be

“ Is it a 1940 or 1941 model ? “

Look inside your seat tube for a build sheet. I doubt you'll find one as it looks like the frame was completely stripped but you never know.

Look inside your seat tube for a build sheet. I doubt you'll find one as it looks like the frame was completely stripped but you never know.
I never knew that was a “thing” !

I wonder how many folks have discovered their build sheet in there ?

Welp... you learn something new every day!

Thanks !

Back