When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perhaps my last thread before being banned from the CABE

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
In my quest for a definitive answer, I have been posting the same question(s), with slight variations, so as to avoid the ire of those kind souls who’ve attempted to help me.

Backstory: like many here, I have spent a significant amount of time and resources on research and parts accumulation to accurately build up my prewar DX.
Mine appears to be either a 1940 or 1941 model.
My problem with this build is there are significant differences between the two years ( as I understand it ) for both parts and paint motif.

At the risk of becoming the most redundant ( read: “most insufferable, annoying, etc.” ) poster on the CABE; I am now going to pose these questions “one last time” in my search for the bottom line.

Attached below are screen captures of two
separate Schwinn serial number/date charts. One was submitted by a CABE member some years back, the other from BicycleChronicles.

My DX’s serial number is F42865 ( it has a notched seatpost clamp ) which
would place it as either a ‘40 or ‘41 depending on which chart one refers to.

So my questions to the most knowledgeable among you :

- Is this a 1941 or 1942 ?

- Contingent on the answer to the above:
Which is the correct chain guard; the short, unbranded version, or the long version, with the Schwinn decal, that extends beyond the seat stay ?

- Also contingent on the first question; would this bike have the “spear point “ paint scheme? Or the later “fireball” paint scheme ?

THE CHARTS:

MY FRAME:

THE TWO SCHWINN PAINT MOTIFS :

Well, that outta do it. Please, be gentle...

Self Correction : My question ( according to the two date charts ) was meant to be

“ Is it a 1940 or 1941 model ? “

Look inside your seat tube for a build sheet. I doubt you'll find one as it looks like the frame was completely stripped but you never know.

Look inside your seat tube for a build sheet. I doubt you'll find one as it looks like the frame was completely stripped but you never know.
I never knew that was a “thing” !

I wonder how many folks have discovered their build sheet in there ?

Welp... you learn something new every day!

Thanks !

Back