When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perhaps my last thread before being banned from the CABE

-
In my quest for a definitive answer, I have been posting the same question(s), with slight variations, so as to avoid the ire of those kind souls who’ve attempted to help me.

Backstory: like many here, I have spent a significant amount of time and resources on research and parts accumulation to accurately build up my prewar DX.
Mine appears to be either a 1940 or 1941 model.
My problem with this build is there are significant differences between the two years ( as I understand it ) for both parts and paint motif.

At the risk of becoming the most redundant ( read: “most insufferable, annoying, etc.” ) poster on the CABE; I am now going to pose these questions “one last time” in my search for the bottom line.

Attached below are screen captures of two
separate Schwinn serial number/date charts. One was submitted by a CABE member some years back, the other from BicycleChronicles.

My DX’s serial number is F42865 ( it has a notched seatpost clamp ) which
would place it as either a ‘40 or ‘41 depending on which chart one refers to.

So my questions to the most knowledgeable among you :

- Is this a 1941 or 1942 ?

- Contingent on the answer to the above:
Which is the correct chain guard; the short, unbranded version, or the long version, with the Schwinn decal, that extends beyond the seat stay ?

- Also contingent on the first question; would this bike have the “spear point “ paint scheme? Or the later “fireball” paint scheme ?

THE CHARTS:

View attachment 1411484

View attachment 1411485

MY FRAME:

View attachment 1411486

View attachment 1411487

THE TWO SCHWINN PAINT MOTIFS :

View attachment 1411488

View attachment 1411489

Well, that outta do it. Please, be gentle...
No soup for you!

Any badge?, different badges sometimes have different paint schemes, I even have 2 OG paint 41 Henderson's DX's ( with Henderson on the down tube ) but one has the "fireball" and the other "feather" cream paint so who knows?

Any badge?, different badges sometimes have different paint schemes, I even have 2 OG paint 41 Henderson's DX's ( with Henderson on the down tube ) but one has the "fireball" and the other "feather" cream paint so who knows?
I bought an Excelsior badge for it. I bought the frame without one.

I bought an Excelsior badge for it. I bought the frame without one.
I mean, dude, if it’s from the ground up Frankenstein parts bike, being that close to the cusp of 40-41 then pick whatever you like. 40 or 41. They are kids bikes after all. No point in pulling your hair out. It seriously could have been either one. Seriously… remember, kids bike.. not a numbers matching 1967 L88 vette.. :)

Back