When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Period-correct bar tape for 1930s road bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BlackRockJohhny

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello!

I recently bought a 1930s French road bike, and I would like to find (if at all possible) period-correct bar tape for it.
I can't seem to find anything searching Google.

Thanks!

Rivendell sells The Right Stuff
They also have a great video showing you how to finish with twine wrap (then shellac both tape and twine)
with only one coat of shellac, both tape and twin will return to a cloth-like feel
ap5230001-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I think I have a couple rolls of cloth tape out in the shop somewhere. I will look and let you know.

You can get the cloth in any color. If you start at the stem end, you don't need to finish off with twine, either. I usually go with the twine for a little contrast and because I think it looks classy, but on my 2000 Iver Johnson (re-imagined Specialized), I thought it looked too old school, so I wrapped from the stem and the ends are held by the bar plugs. I like the cloth because, it comes in any color (though the shellac, even the clear, will darken it a little), is cheap, durable, looks good, is decently comfortable (you can stick pieces of old cork wrap underneath it in strategic places for some extra comfort), and fits pretty much any era. If you go with a light color, you can put more shellac to keep it cleaner, though that will stiffen the material more.

Hello!

I recently bought a 1930s French road bike, and I would like to find (if at all possible) period-correct bar tape for it.
I can't seem to find anything searching Google.

Thanks!

On pre-1980's bikes I usually go with cloth bar tape, starting at the end ending at the stem. This keeps the tape from peeling over when you ride and grip the bars. I've heard of others going the opposite way so the choice is yours.

Another option would be the old school rubber grips on the drops. I believe this is the usual for that era of French bikes.

IMG_3219.jpg

Okay, I dug around in the shop and found 2 rolls of cloth tape, one is a dark blue and the other is black. Made in France, so should be correct for your bike, right? LOL
MVC-698S.JPG

Do an image search for pick a year, 1936 tour de France and you will find lots of good pictures that show how guys had their bars taped.

I think Tressostar is the brand I used on at least one of my bikes and I forget the other brand. I can't really tell the difference—both fine quality.

Back