When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perry or Durex

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello, folks.
Given the choice, would you guys build a fresh, new wheel using a Perry or a Durex hub. Qualifiers. The Durex will be the composite of two parts hubs. Both OK. I have two NOS Perry hubs to choose from, a Sturmey version with a lubricator port, and a Perry version, sans port, but, beautiful. Both of the Perry hubs have the steel brake, not the brass version. Ceramic bearings will go in either hub.
I’m leaning toward the Sturmey, at the moment.

Ted

How old is the Durex?
You don't see many of them over here.
I have a very early one on my circa 1907 'Cycles Morot'.

I’m guessing they are 50s-60s, nothing rare or special. Hole for an oiler in them. They might not be a whole lot different then a Perry. We don’t see many here, either.

Ted

Hello, folks.
Given the choice, would you guys build a fresh, new wheel using a Perry or a Durex hub. Qualifiers. The Durex will be the composite of two parts hubs. Both OK. I have two NOS Perry hubs to choose from, a Sturmey version with a lubricator port, and a Perry version, sans port, but, beautiful. Both of the Perry hubs have the steel brake, not the brass version. Ceramic bearings will go in either hub.
I’m leaning toward the Sturmey, at the moment.

Ted
Did Perry make single speed coaster brake hubs for Sturmey-Archer? I've seen Perry hubs, but I don't know much about them. I learned something new!

I’m guessing they are 50s-60s, nothing rare or special. Hole for an oiler in them. They might not be a whole lot different then a Perry. We don’t see many here, either.

Ted
I think they started in Bielefeld, in Germany, in around 1903 producing coaster brake hubs right from the start.
Do you have photos?

Depends on the model of Perry and Durex hub. Durex made some heavy-duty hubs with larger brake surfaces, which may be useful to you if you're doing a lot of downhill. I guess it depends on which Durex hub you have. The basic Perry is a functional brake - nothing overly strong, but workable. If you're in a hilly area, a front hand brake should be used as well.

A Sturmey Archer SC is a Perry coaster brake hub. Brake arm say “Sturmey Archer” but, it is just a clever disguise. All my Perry’s are B100s.

The Durex hubs I have are just the basic coaster bike hubs, not a tandem or moped hub. They built this hub forever, but, they aren’t that common in the US. The braking surface is on par with the Perry. Hills aren’t a big deal here, and while the bike won’t be a basement queen, it probably won’t be ridden everyday, or, far.

Last edited:
Back