When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Petty crooks - The Wheelmen

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

pikljoose

Finally riding a big boys bike
I figured it would be neat to see what it's all about so I submitted for membership and paid my money..

That was 6-8 weeks ago. Not a peep. No materials, no communication, nothing. I have made repeated attempts to contact them ( through multiple emails) and all efforts have gone ignored.

I have filed a PayPal claim against them.

Certainly no aspirations for getting a refund.

Why do they even bother to solicit new members if they just leave them hanging?

I was a member for a couple of years. Not crooks, just very slow and behind the times as far as communication goes.

Just for FYI, it took 3 mo's to get my packet, after many calls. Not good for PR....... just say'n. In their defense tho, it's probably volunteers doing the work, and they have lives as well....

I figured it would be neat to see what it's all about so I submitted for membership and paid my money..

That was 6-8 weeks ago. Not a peep. No materials, no communication, nothing. I have made repeated attempts to contact them ( through multiple emails) and all efforts have gone ignored.

I have filed a PayPal claim against them.

Certainly no aspirations for getting a refund.

Why do they even bother to solicit new members if they just leave them hanging?

Not crooks. Just a little slow. They are staffed by volunteers who live in different states. The National Meet had everyone busy when you applied I'm sure. In any case, I would encourage those of you considering joining The Wheelmen to actually go to a meet first, National or Regional. That's what they are about. Riding, researching and preserving pre 1918 bicycles. If you plan to get much out of the organization going to the meets or participating in the exhibitions is really the best way to do it. I've met a number of wonderful people by doing so.

Have you tried contacting the Captain of your state? http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/statedivisions/statedivisions.asp

If you're dead set about not being a member at this point, I'm sure they won't mind.

I concur with what the other guys have said. Slow as molasses on a Vermont winter morning but good people and certainly not crooks. I'd guess their median age to be in the 70s or 80s, not exactly the most computer savvy or fast moving group but they have a ton of knowledge about TOC bikes and their magazine is worth the price of admission if you like real early bicycle history. Once you finally get your membership started, they keep up well.

Hi Everyone, my name is Ken Gray and I'm the Membership Chairman for The Wheelmen.

I was first made aware of the problem this evening; I appreciate all of the feedback and apologize for the delays in processing memberships. I work full time and spend 100s of hours each year of my spare time doing this job, in addition to trying to find time to get on a bicycle. It is not my intention to disappoint anyone, especially new applicants, with the time it takes to process an application. However, as was mentioned we are a non-profit club and operate with all volunteers.

Please feel free to contact me directly ([email protected]) if you have any questions or comments. I'm happy to work with the original poster to resolve the problem. Please note that the email address we use for PayPal is not monitored since it was set up and is maintained by our former Treasurer.

Keep on wheelin'
Ken Gray
The Wheelmen Membership Chairman
[email protected]

Thanks for all the hard work, taking care of the website.
I'm hoping that the website gets an upgrade, to the new century.
It has a lot of frustrating shortcomings.
Compared to this site, The Wheelman site program is very antiquated.
Ok for our bicycles but not a website.
I'm sure other members would agree...

It took me nearly two years to get on their forum. I decided I would rather not collect TOC bikes save for my Pierce so didn't see any reason to pursue further. V/r Shawn

They are not too quick to register memberships.
Been there, done that...

Another reason why the wheelmen are dieing off as a group. That and the fact that most of them are 100+ years old and don't like any bike made after 1915.......

Back