When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Petty crooks - The Wheelmen

-
There is a discussion, by The Wheelman, to include up to 1933 bicycles.
Too bad, they can't include up to 1941....

The decision to include up to 1933 is because bikes did not change drastically between 1918 and 1933. With the advent of the balloon tire bicycle you have a new era of bicycles to consider entirely. In 50 years I'm sure they'll have enveloped that era as well.

I was talking with a guy last week, who said that he's been hearing that the Balloon Tire bikes collectability is just about dead, and that the Turn of the Century bikes is where it's headed.
I just laughed.
I told him that I've noticed a trend as well. The big time car guys are starting to collect bicycles, and they're not collecting Turn of the Century bikes.

I joined recently also. They are a bit slow with their membership packages, but I have met a few, and found each one of them to be very helpful, and eager to share information. I enjoy the historical aspect to collecting these bikes. Comparing the evolution of the auto industry to what was happening in the bicycle world at that time is very interesting. There are tons of groups dedicated to balloon tire bikes on Facebook. There's a place for all of them in our cycling world. Thank you Ken. If I can be of any help, just let me know what I can do. Come on guys, you have to admit, They put on some great events!

I joined recently also. They are a bit slow with their membership packages, but I have met a few, and found each one of them to be very helpful, and eager to share information. I enjoy the historical aspect to collecting these bikes. Comparing the evolution of the auto industry to what was happening in the bicycle world at that time is very interesting. There are tons of groups dedicated to balloon tire bikes on Facebook. There's a place for all of them in our cycling world. Thank you Ken. If I can be of any help, just let me know what I can do. Come on guys, you have to admit, They put on some great events!

I was a member of the Wheelmen for a few years back in the late 80s early 90s. Never got any help from anyone. I do have a bunch good friends that are long time members. And the club does do a lot of good work.

Catfish you never asked for any help from me, which you would promptly receive... And our median age is NOT 100, we have a bunch of young members..

Catfish you never asked for any help from me, which you would promptly receive... And our median age is NOT 100, we have a bunch of young members..

David, I haven't asked you for help. But I would never hesitate if I needed too. You are one of the Wheelmen that I call a friend. And yes, the club does have younger members. Catfish

David, I haven't asked you for help. But I would never hesitate if I needed too. You are one of the Wheelmen that I call a friend. And yes, the club does have younger members. Catfish

Good! I consider you a friend too.

A personal perspective

A PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE.

Greetings fellow Cabers.

Enough has been said to prove the legitimacy to The Wheelmen so that there is no longer any need to go there.

Here is a link to THE WHEELMEN’s site so you can judge for yourself how one might enjoy and benefit from membership.

http://www.thewheelmen.org/

In a broad generality I have found that many people join various cycling organizations based upon both their personal history and objects which rest within their collection. Notwithstanding age of the members, best bear in mind that it has been much easier for Cabers to find bikes post 1933 than pre 1933. We tend to develop our interests with what we both own and enjoy. One will go on from there. Just because you own a bike from 1897 does not mean that you should migrate over to The Wheelmen. As we collect more and more we broaden our knowledge base which allows us to recognize various aspects of a common interest and consequently seek other venues with answers to questions.

The Wheelmen is a site to find those answers which may not be available elsewhere. Over the years I have gleaned a lot from the organization and, as a bonus, made many friends.

Obviously I am a member of this site at THE CABE. There are other organizations that one might wish to join if involved in early cycling such as the Veteran Cycle Club (http://www.v-cc.org.uk/ ) in England and IVCA ~ International Veteran Cycle Association ( http://www.ivca-online.org/ ).
Ken Gray has explained in part some of his concerns.
Bear in mind that the CABE an exceptional site with Scott and crew doing a fab job. Also bear in mind that there are other steps one can take as circumstances or opportunities arise.
Have a safe ride along the path.

Lorne Shields

Back